PDA

View Full Version : I caught Beelzebub....

Sk8r
10/25/2006, 02:35 PM
...with a net.

Beelzebub, otherwise known as the filamented fairy wrasse.

This fish was a PITA from the start, and needed more room than my 52g, no matter his size. Hyper, and constantly on the tails of my red firefish, my purple firefish, the chromis, particularly the chromis, occasionally the highfin gobies. The only thing he didn't dare cross was the yellow watchman. In the upshot he harassed the Rainford goby to death, he somehow is responsible for the demise of the red firefish, who cannot be found, may be responsible for the re-disappearance of one highfin goby, and in general, in two weeks, had worn out his welcome with me.

I figured his general pushiness and greed could be the key to catching him. I began feeding the most delectable foods in the net, in midwater where he liked to feed. Took a week of slow acclimation, not spooking him, letting him have his rewards.

This morning he went into the net after it, and I had him. The beggar is now back at the lfs, and I am now waiting for them to get in a goodlooking larger red firefish. I'm going to let the tank settle a bit before I replace the rainford goby.

A pretty, pretty fish, but I would recommend it to someone with more aggressive fish and at least 25 more gallons in their tank.

schiejr
10/25/2006, 06:17 PM
Congrats on the succesful ambush. Must be a load off your mind (and the other fish) to finally have that rascal gone.

Sk8r
10/25/2006, 10:42 PM
I tell you, I have great respect for the intelligence of a wrasse or a dottyback: they learn. One time you try and fail to catch them, you just about have to go back to the drawing board and design a new Acme Wrasse Trap. I couldn't believe he went in, and then when I moved the net to slam it shut against the glass, he went the wrong way, and I had him.

Didn't even have to move the light. Happy, happy, happy, here! And may Mr. Wrasse go to a larger tank with tougher inhabitants!