PDA

View Full Version : Crushed Coral Good/Bad

loves saltwater
10/25/2006, 03:58 PM
I have crushed coral in my display and I think I have read here that it is better to use sand ? I am finishing my cycle should I bite the bullet and remove the CC now and put in the sand.

kraze3
10/25/2006, 04:07 PM
Id remove it, it traps nitrates

Sk8r
10/25/2006, 04:37 PM
It's a pain, turns into a brick, and collects algae.

I've got a little crushed coral in my aragonite sand, and even at 10 months of age, I'm dissatisifed. I'm likely facing a small move, and may take the chance to pull the sandbed, or most of it, and install sugar sand aragonite, which is fine enough for the sand-sifting fish, and just looks better.

grinch77
10/25/2006, 04:53 PM
What the best way to remove it with out screwing up a established tank?

EricM
10/25/2006, 04:54 PM
Let me also say this - if you've got (or going to have) lots of flow, CC stays put much better than sand. But it's a lot more work to keep it clean.

Sk8r
10/25/2006, 05:05 PM
To remove it, get a light, thin-edged plastic cup that won't knock over your display, then dip it carefully mostly full of sand, let it settle a moment, then raise to the surface, letting a little water spill, dump it in a bucket, repeat ad nauseam. You won't be able to get all of it, but most, and that's good enough.
Install new sand the same way: rinse it, fill a cup mostly full, lower it into the water, gently to the bottom, tip it and let it flow out and settle. Raise cup gently to surface, repeat ad majorem nauseam.

grinch77
10/25/2006, 05:08 PM
What about critter loss from the CC is there any way to help that.I'm refering to the critters that live in the substrate.

werew
10/25/2006, 08:08 PM
I've been using crushed coral going on 4 years now and it's working great for me. My cc bed is about 4-5 inches deep and MIGHT require a light fanning with my algae scraper wand every now and then..... I dont think this is even necessary, it's just something i've done up to 5 times a year.

I think CC is a great PH buffer, DKH buffer and even helps keep calcium levels from dropping fast... in comparison to using a sandbed.

I keep all kinds of coral successfully, only 2 SPS's have died after I moved, a tri-color and purple pocillopora.

<shrug> I think CC and sand BOTH have their pro's and con's. Your decision should be based on what looks best to you.

Icehockey_whino
10/25/2006, 10:08 PM
I have had cc for 5-6 years and at times it would be bad and at times it would be okay. Now, I have added a dragon sifter Goby and he keeps the crushed coral immaculate.

bertoni
10/25/2006, 11:11 PM
Neither crushed coral nor sand can provide any significant buffering capability. They're simply not soluble enough at tank conditions. I had CC and hated it, because it got very dirty, but it can work well. Some animals will do better with it, like burrowing jawfish.