PDA

View Full Version : L.E.D Lighting? Revolutionary?

Lev F.
10/25/2006, 04:19 PM
Check this out: www.solarisled.com

PFO Lighting is proud to introduce the Solaris LED Illumination System. The Solaris is the first LED System designed to replace Metal Halide and Fluorescent lighting for the Aquarium Reef Tanks. It has been in development for over two years. It will change the way Aquarists light their tanks from now and into the future.

The current design produces PAR light output levels equal to a 250W MH 20K. It uses 40% less energy than the Metal Halide Fixtures it replaces. The life of the LED's is 50,000 hours, so it almost eliminates metal halide and fluorescent bulb replacements. All heat is radiated up and away from the tank Therefore, it does not heat the water like Metal Halides or Fluorescents. This eliminates the need for Chillers. The room air conditioner needs to work 1/2 as much since the light fixture produces only half the heat of Metal Halides which saves even more energy over traditional lighting methods.

There is a built in microprocessor that controls the Solaris. This not only eliminates timers, but it allows the unit to dim the actinic blue LEDs, white LEDs, Lunar actinic blue LEDs and Lunar White LEDS independently from 0-100%. This dimming capability opens many opportunities. The light can be adjusted from 6.5K to 22K, or anywhere in between, to set the ideal color temperature. Sunrise, Daylight, Cloud Cover, Sunset, and the lunar cycle, can all be set independently.

Coral Growth has been outstanding with the new lights. There is excellent water penetration of the light. Many authors have been testing the units since early May and will be printing their results shortly.

This all sounds great, but is it true? Have any of you used these fixtures before? How was it? What do you guys think? If it claims what is true, this really could be the "new" best lighting system for the reef tank. They do charge quite a bit for them, though...

jsdratm
10/25/2006, 04:33 PM
LEDs have a lot of potential, but I would wait a few years. I think their cost outweighs the potential benefits at the moment.

Eventually, it is expected that OLEDs will be embeddable in everything from clothing to walls in homes at an economic price.

96p993
10/25/2006, 04:34 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=876845

Lev F.
10/25/2006, 04:40 PM
whoops, I didn't see that. The search function isn't "available" at the time. :D Sorry about the repost.

Ebmorri
10/25/2006, 04:44 PM
since the search function "isn't availabe" most of the time unless you are a Premiere Member go to Google and do an advance search and look only at reefcentral.com. It works pretty good for me.