PDA

View Full Version : Need for a closed loop?

asfullax
10/25/2006, 04:31 PM
Hey all,

Figured I would ask for advice here first to see if anybody has any experience with closed loop vs non closed loop.

For the last year, I have been running a CL driven by a mag 9.5 but I have not used any directional switching devices such as a sqwd and my mag 9.5 finally died yesterday. Because I am plumbing in a new 55 gallon sump, I needed to replumb my setup and remove the CL temporarily. Well, I started think about it and the closed loop was installed for additional flow but as some know, I finally purchased two tunze pumps (6100 and a 6080) I just bought the controller for the 6100 today and started questioning if I need the closed loop anymore other then for my chiller (which I could use something cheaper)

My idea is to install a sqwd on the main pump outlet to give a little more turbulence, which is what I wanted to do with the CL, but now I am questioning myself if I really need to.

are there any other benefits that anybody knows of for a CL other then flow? I have to say I love the way the tank looks without the 3/4" spray bars now that they are removed.

Total flow in the 129 is as follows:
Iwaki WMD-40RLXT main pump
Tunze 6100
Tunze 6080
2 x Seio 820 (soon to be dual 1500's with controller)

Total of: 8175/gph or 63x turnover without the closed loop...

ahman
10/25/2006, 07:43 PM
Hey Alex it all depends on what u are keeping in you're tank as far as corals, are they softis or hard corals do you have a sandbed or barebottom. If u are planning a mixed reef u could probably do without the extra pump for now but as ur tank matures and grows those pumps won't be enough. Just my two cents.

crazy4acros
10/25/2006, 10:43 PM
My Motto is you can never have too much flow (unless you got sand) hehee. It does not matter how you achive it the most important thing is to have it as random as you can get it. Even softies enjoy flow,.... just not it blasting at them in one direction for hours.

asfullax
10/26/2006, 09:44 AM
Ahman,

My tank has a "Constantly Moving" DSB ranging from bare bottom to 16" lol. The sand just blows everywhere with the amount of flow I have going.

I'm running a mixed reef but focusing on sps. The funny part is that everything REALLY opened up yesterday without the closed loop. BUT, I can't find any way to hook up my chiller without it, SO I am probibly going to fix the 9.5 and put it back up. I am going to see if I can use 1/2" tubing instead of 3/4" to make it look better. :D

Crazy,
I agree, I plan on installing two sqwd's, the two seio 1500's on the controller and now the tunze single controller :D. I think the fish are gonna get dizzy lol. hopefully in the next year I can pickup an extra tunze 6100 and the multicontroller, that would finish the tank up nicely. :)

isotope21
10/26/2006, 10:02 AM
Alex -

Sounds like your already sold on the idea of reinstalling your CL but, at that rate of turnover, you're almost assuredly subject to a fierce application of the law of diminshing returns. With the two Tunzes/two Seios alone you've got a ton of random, chaotic flow. Do you really need "two tons?"

You may wind up limiting the types of species you can keep if you decided to put some of the larger, fleshier-polyped species in too. When I added a Tunze 6000 to my tank, I had to reposition my trachyphyllia and cynarina. Predictably, they HATED the additional flow. The Euphyllias didn't enjoy it much either. I'm a big believer in "reef zones" and natural habitats and with the flow in your tank, you're essentially replicating the reef crest/turbid water area ALL over your tank. And that's great, if that's what you're going for.

Since you've said the spray bar is unsightly, I would ditch it. The less visible equipment in the tank, the merrier, IMO. It's already plumbed for the CL so you can always go back to it if you're unsatisfied with the flow, right?

As for the chiller, why can't you just submerse the Mag in the new sump and feed the chiller. Or, make a nice wide bulkhead and run it inline and externally along with the return? Since you're redoing the plumbing, that almost seems "too easy" so maybe I'm missing something altogether.

Good luck!

Pete

skyfireblaze
10/26/2006, 01:44 PM
Alex --

With the Tunze's I'd be really tempted to forgo the CL. Like Pete said, surely you could plumb in your chiller a number of different ways.

Also, how much flow do you need through your chiller? You don't need to have the Mag9 just for the chiller do you? I'd see if you could move to a smaller pump for the chiller, one that'd give you less heat and power to deal with ...

Just my thoughts ....

crazy4acros
10/26/2006, 02:46 PM
Just remember that it is always easier to turn down your flow than it is to add/increase it. For me it's always nice to know that I have more than adequate enough flow at a touch of a finger or turn of a shutoff valve. You'll be fine with a mixed reef + high random flow with that size of a tank. And besides when get your Multicontroller for your Tunze you'll be surprised and have a big smile on your face when you discover that you have the power to control/program your "reef zones" at a touch of a button or turn of a knob. So you may not need "two tons" but it sure is nice to know you have it when your taste in corals start ot change or the ability to find a fine balance in the two. However you go Alex, your on the right track when it comes to flow TUNZE!!!!.

Happy Reefkeeping,

Thor

ahman
10/26/2006, 06:37 PM
Also if u can do an external pump to run ur chiller and CL it would be better, more expensive but better in the long run with the mag ur adding way more heat than an external would plus I think a good external would last for a long time. my two cents.

skyfireblaze
10/30/2006, 10:15 AM
So what happened over the weekend?

crazy4acros
10/30/2006, 04:06 PM
We went to Trackday! LOL

asfullax
11/02/2006, 10:20 AM
Yeah, we went to trackday... :rollface:

Actually, I went to trackday on Saturday, then drove to Denver saturday night, went to a few halloween clubs, went to a concert, drove back tuesday and am finally back.

As Murphy would have it, my media reactor decided to kiss the topoff sensor the first day I was gone and my wife was able to test the new emergency overflow shutoff switch. It worked great but the skimmer flooded for a bit. No big deal.

I received the new Tunze controller and daytime sensor and installed them last night. all I can say is WOW. The turbulance in the tank is GREAT. Before my frogspawn would hold on for dear life in one direction, Now it flows one way, then another, then stops, and then again. It looks like pictures you see in the ocean. Its just that good.

I also re-aquascaped the whole tank because my frogspawn was attacking tankmates, installed 2 new 120mm fans on a timer, made and installed a new frag tray (they love their new home)

I am going to re-install a closed loop at some point, but my temps have dropped almost 8 degrees by installing fans pointing at the MH, so the chiller is not needed for now.

With all of these changes, the corals are opening up way more then usuall, they are feeding much faster, and even the fish seem to be happier (the eel is still attacking me on a daily basis)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8443198#post8443198 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xchrisjb
So what happened over the weekend?