PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot Sand???

zrs6v4
10/25/2006, 10:30 PM
I bought some pool filter sand from home depot I couldnt find anything else but this stuff and I havent put it in yet. I am trying to find out if it will hurt anything. I am wanting to stick it in the sump just for decoration and to put plants in. it is very fine small sand flakes. I want to try it, but I dont want to kill my livestock. Is that possible?

PatrickJ
10/25/2006, 10:35 PM
This comes up every 3 weeks. There are plenty of cheap sources of sand that are for reef and you wont have to worry if it is safe or not.

St. Charles Parish?

zrs6v4
10/25/2006, 10:42 PM
ok I just wasn't sure if they put any chemicals in it that may mess with the water.. ST. Charles Parish? I Live in Missouri if that was the question.

PatrickJ
10/26/2006, 09:19 AM
Who knows if they do? I would get reef sand, as in, sand that was ment to go into a reef tank, because you will not have to worry about chemicals and whatnot.

As with all sands (dry), it should be rinsed really well. Then should let set in clear water for a couple of days and washed again.

A parish = a county in LA.

RichConley
10/26/2006, 09:46 AM
Yeah, theres a big home depot conspiracy to put chemicals in the sand without telling anyone.

Do you really think that CoralSea, or any of the other companies is doing anything but buying sand from the companies that HD does, and throwing it in a different bag?

Phoric
10/26/2006, 09:55 AM
I always check the ingredients on the Home Depot and Lowes sands and they're mostly made from silica and various types of land-based crushed stones. I haven't been able to find Southdown or the other aragonite play sand they used to carry, and from what I've heard these are no longer being produced. Personally I'd spend a few extra dollars and go with CaribSea to be safe.

jarhed
10/26/2006, 02:09 PM
Cant get any aragonite sand here on the left coast. Not sure about the midwest though.

rooroo
10/26/2006, 02:16 PM
Order online?

jarhed
10/26/2006, 02:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8421293#post8421293 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rooroo
Order online?

I'd imagine that the shipping cost would be rediculous.

Slickdonkey
10/26/2006, 02:35 PM
I bought 100 pounds of silica-based sandblasting sand at Home Depot for my fuge ($7). Didn't rinse it either. It's tan in color, works fine. No phoshates, no silicates in my tank, but we'll see how that holds over time.

Intesting article on silica: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2003/feature.htm