PDA

View Full Version : Gate valve vs. ball valve for ASM skimmer

jamal-188
10/26/2006, 05:55 AM
Can't find a 1 1/4 gate valve for my ASM G3 skimmer locally and would rather not pay $20 + $7 shipping for one online. I'm assuming a ball valve works almost as well, just a little tougher to adjust?

I wasn't sure if the way the ball valve restricts flow would cause issues or increase the output of micro bubbles from the skimmer.

mahoneyc3
10/26/2006, 06:31 AM
not sure about the micro bubble issue, but youll be able to tune avery thing with a ball valve, but its probly worth the money to get teh gate valve even if its double priced. the gate actually rises and lowers a gate inside the valve, the ball valve is an open and closed thing and doesnt lend itself to fine tunning of the water level like a gate valve does. on a skimmer that big and powerful, your going to want to really fine tune it, which will be possible, just a reallllll pain in the butt, with the ball valve

MayoBoy
10/26/2006, 07:00 AM
No, the ball valve doesn't have the fine adjustment that a gate valve has. Spring for the gate valve - it's more than worth it.

I ended up buying the kit online. It was worth it to me because my time is fairly precious and I was able to put it all together in about 2 minutes and didn't have to spend an hour going to the hardware store, cutting pipe, etc.