PDA

View Full Version : Sharing LR

Mr31415
10/26/2006, 02:48 PM
I have a 550l reef and a 400l predator tank. Obviously the predators do not eat any pods, so in my predator tank I have millions of pods and other small creatures on my sand and LR. In my reef aquarium I have a Green Mandarin and two wrasses that between them, they eat all the visible pods.

My question is whether there is any reason for me not to share some LR between the two tanks? My idea was to move some pod-populated LR from the predator to the reef, and move some from the reef to the predator tank. While the fish in the reef eats the pods on that LR, the LR in the predator tank should become seeded with some new pods. So then I swop them back again after say a week.

Would this work?

maddyfish
10/26/2006, 03:09 PM
Sounds great to me, so long as the live rock from your predator tank isn't coppered. Seems like keeping copper in a predator tank used to be the norm.

kiknchikn
10/26/2006, 03:13 PM
You might also want to make sure there aren't any pests in one tank that aren't in the other already so you don't introduce them.

Mr31415
10/26/2006, 03:19 PM
Yeah that is the only thing that concerned me a bit - spreading algae. But then again, both tanks seem to have the same kind of algae.

fishysteve
10/26/2006, 04:00 PM
It sounds like a good idea to me.