PDA

View Full Version : jawfish habitat ?

cilyjr
10/26/2006, 03:54 PM
so in preperation for getting a yellowheaded jawfish i built up the sand bed in my tank but as i didnot want to have 4 inches all across i did this (photo). there are legs that reach the tank bottom on the rock that appears to be laying on the sand as i have heard of jawfish burrows collapsing rock formations. my plan is to guide the fish to this area somehow. ideas?

http://www.members.cox.net/cily_jr/sand1.jpg

sir_dudeguy
10/26/2006, 04:19 PM
well its gonna go wherever he wants...which may very well be the deaper part but you never know. But when i put my diamond goby in my 55, i didnt plan this at all, but i dropped him in and he went straight to the bottom and landed there and sat there. Then after a minute or 2, he went to the first rock he could find and burrowed there.

So maybe after you acclimate him, fill a container with your tank water and put the fish in that. (this is just to keep the lfs water out of your tank). Then put the lid on the container and lower him to the rock you want (the one you pictured). Then you could open the lid and he'd be right there.

Again, this may be (and sound) completely retarded, but thats just what i noticed happened with my diamond goby...he burrowed right where he hit.

But also i think i've heard that jawfish like crushed coral to build with...so maybe if you put a small handfull of it right there it would help out a bit.

3D-Reef
10/26/2006, 06:03 PM
You could make a tunnel for him.Get some 1/2"or 3/4" PVC,a 45 degree elbow,and maybe an end cap.Put it together and stick it in the sand with the opening at the sand level.

You can make a cool set up by cutting out the side of the pipe,then put it next to the glass,that way you can see what he's doing in the tunnel.

cilyjr
10/26/2006, 07:19 PM
good ideas

cilyjr
10/27/2006, 07:27 PM
i lowered him in a glass to in front of the rock...he swam out across the tank. stayed there for a night and friended up with the blenny (can you beliee it) the spent the night watching out opposite ends of a cave in the rocks. came home today he started a cave in the shallow sand. well at around 5 the blenny poped in for a visit. scared him s#@tless (shortlived friendship). and he moved over to where i was hoping he would be. he has constructed quite the hiding place so far!!!

cilyjr
10/27/2006, 07:38 PM
here is a pic
http://www.members.cox.net/cily_jr/jawfish1.jpg

sir_dudeguy
10/27/2006, 09:22 PM
lol so is it back to where you wanted him?

THEMANTISMAN
10/28/2006, 12:10 AM
i have bought 3 jawfish and i have a 10 inch dsb and still mine always jump. little buggers

sir_dudeguy
10/28/2006, 07:27 AM
they probably jump because you've got 3 of them...you're not sposed to have more than one for like every...3 square feet or something like that. They're probably driving each other out of the tank.