PDA

View Full Version : Where to mount Sunpod?? (also have PCactinics)

reefallen
10/26/2006, 06:12 PM
Ok, I need some advice and questions answered about upgrading my lighting. (I've already bought it so please don't suggest any different products unless you think that what I'm doing it WRONG and need to return/exchange it!) Thanks

I have a 75g tank and currently have Coralife PC Actinics on my tank (total 4 bulbs, 2 each. I am adding to the existing lights, a 20" unit called a Sunpod. It has 1- 150w, 14K HQI and 12 lunar lights. I have several questions!!!!!

1. I know that I will have to gradually add the new lights at a slow rate so as not to stress out the existing fish, corals, etc. with a big lighting change. Does anyone have a "program" on how to do this? EX. - (in the beginning) How many hrs should I have the HQI's on each day, for what length of time (one week, etc)?

2. The instructions say that I HAVE TO have an acrylic or glass top on my aquarium. I don't and didn't know I needed one. Where do I get such a thing and is it really necessary and important and if so, why?

3. What is the best way to attach these lights?

My canopy is 8" tall. I have the Coralife lights setting on 4 PVC rods/pipes that I have going across the width of the tank. Those rods also have LR hanging from them. My canopy has 2 hinged doors on the top of it that fold in half and are totally removable. It also has a wooden brace in the center of the top of the canopy.

I am thinking that the best way to mount the Sunpod is to attach it to the center wooden base of the canopy. That way it is the farthest from the water and secure. I will still have room on each side of the light to feed. I would push the Coralife lights to the back of the tank. Does this sound reasonable?

PLEASE HELP with any experience or ideas. I'm not sure if this whole plan is ok! Thank you in advance!!!