PDA

View Full Version : Aptasia - Serious threat?

reverendmaynard
10/27/2006, 06:52 AM
I would like to get opinions on how serious a threat aptasia are to seahorses. I've never seen an aptasia grow large enough to actually eat a seahorse, but they do sting, so I'm wondering if that sting is powerful enough to cause problems for seahorses?

Fredfish
10/27/2006, 07:18 PM
I do not know how great a threat they are to horses, but they sure are a persistant pest. Get rid of it before it multiplies and takes over the tank.

Fred

jojo22
10/27/2006, 08:13 PM
I read a story on anoth forum that I will try to find for you. An aptasia stung one of the admins ponies and then attached to it. she found the pony lieing on the ground and assumed it was dead. She managed to remove the appie, and after a few hours of coaxing by her mate she came back 100%. I would not chance it at all.

kba981
10/27/2006, 09:21 PM
you need to kill them asap.they can hurt your horses get some joes juice and kill the buggers. Tim

pledosophy
10/29/2006, 10:19 PM
I have lost an adult reidi to an aiptasia sting. I saw it, nothing I could do to save her. JME

seahorsedreams
10/30/2006, 11:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8441346#post8441346 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pledosophy
I have lost an adult reidi to an aiptasia sting. I saw it, nothing I could do to save her. JME

I never heard about this. Details?

pledosophy
10/30/2006, 11:38 PM
Back in the days when I was a newb. I had my little 18g with my reidi pair. Tank was up about three months. Saw the apies, took a pic, LFS ID'd as a fan worm. (Love the LFS's don't ya).

The aiptaisa caught one of the ghost shrimp I fed the seahorses. Seahorse went to snick the ghostshrimp out of the aipie, apie grabed the seahorse by the snout, I had to free her. Seahorse went completely "numb" would not hitch. Was being pushed around by the current by my big ol water pump in the eclipse. I unplugged the pump fearing injury and hooked up some airlines. Seahorse was dead in a few hours.

Sucked .

Nice to see you over here though Dreamer.