PDA

View Full Version : SPS + Mushrooms = Bad News

andyd1480
10/27/2006, 08:02 AM
I've got a mostly SPS tank and after a few hitchhiker mushrooms came in on live rock a few years back, they've really invaded the tank. Now they sting every SPS they get near and some even attach themselves to the base of some of my Montis.

Any idea on how to get rid of them? I've tried scrapping them off with a razor blade. It's a ton of work but after 4-5 months, they start to grow back.

I've thought of buying all new live rock, taking out all the rock with mushrooms on it and letting it dry out (outside) or leave it in fresh water. After everything's dead maybe let the rock cycle in a rubbermaid container and seed it with some fresh live rock.

Any thoughts or ideas? I'm currently trying to plan my attack. I understand it'll take a lot of work regardless, but I've gotta try something.

Thank you for all your helpful knowledge ReefCentral folks!

DrBDC
10/27/2006, 08:18 AM
I used a syringe with a kalk. I shoved it into the shroom and then injected it real slow until it burst out another spot on the shroom. That took care of the ones stinging the sps base and on my clam. But it was a constant battle needing attention weekly. When I changed tanks I swapped out rock with a buddy that likes softy's and now I can happily say I'm shroom free!!!!!

drouner
10/27/2006, 08:21 AM
You can try injecting them with vinger or kalk. That works sometimes on yellow polyps and GSP. I end up pressure washing GSP of several pieces of LR. They came right off and have not returned. Infact as soon I was finished, I put the rock right back in the tank.

alde
10/27/2006, 08:31 AM
Just trade the rock to the LFS for fresh LR. I have an infestation of zoo's and mushrooms that I plan on trading in. They are happy to get them as they sell well and make a nice profit for them.