PDA

View Full Version : BB Tanks and Sand Sleeping Wrasses

RichConley
10/27/2006, 09:47 AM
Anyone keeping sand sleepers (halichoeres, macropharangydon,etc) in a barebottom tank? Any ways around the sleeping requirements?

I'm getting really sick of having to carefully aim powerheads, and would really like to be able to just face some of them straight down. I really dont want to get rid of these fish though, theyre just too pretty, and too useful.

ObscurityKnocks
10/27/2006, 09:59 AM
Everyone that I have seen that does this adds a little tupperware bowl to make a sand box for them to sleep in.

RichConley
10/27/2006, 10:06 AM
can some of you guys post Pics?

Its only a 58 gallon tank, so I can't have anything that big, as I'd like to be able to hide it.

143gadgets
10/27/2006, 11:19 AM
So does this mean your going BB Rich?

fishdoc11
10/27/2006, 11:28 AM
I have had a Halichoeres ornatissimus in my BB for a ew months and he hasn't skipped a beat....actually looks better than when I got him from a tank with a DSB. Do a search for Just Dave's old BB sps tank that cracked if you want to see a BUNCH of wrasses in a BB tank with a sandbox:)
Chris

RichConley
10/27/2006, 11:32 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8427106#post8427106 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 143gadgets
So does this mean your going BB Rich?

Thinking about it. I've got 6000+gph worth of flow in my 58, and its tough to hide powerheads, and tough to get flow to all the places I want it, simply because a difference of a couple degrees causes sand to move around, and I've got very little free sandbed space, so that means sand gets on something, and corals (even brains and such) seem to hate the sand.

I think I'd just really like to put my Tunze under my rockwork and have it blow across the bottom.

143gadgets
10/27/2006, 04:14 PM
Cool! IMO I think the wrasses will be fine, but I am no fish expert. I have 4 wrasses in my BB and all of them are fine. No problems here.

Good luck. And don't forget to post pics.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8427184#post8427184 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
Thinking about it. I've got 6000+gph worth of flow in my 58, and its tough to hide powerheads, and tough to get flow to all the places I want it, simply because a difference of a couple degrees causes sand to move around, and I've got very little free sandbed space, so that means sand gets on something, and corals (even brains and such) seem to hate the sand.

I think I'd just really like to put my Tunze under my rockwork and have it blow across the bottom.

Serioussnaps
10/27/2006, 06:20 PM
yeah i was thinking about a mystery but was worried because i was BB....anyone got pics of their wrasses in BB???

where do they sleep?

Dont they make a mucous web to sleep in? I know they can do this in the rocks...when i had sand my old six line that swam into an uncovered powerhead slept in the rocks and not in the sand

joetbs
10/27/2006, 06:26 PM
Mystery wrasses sleep in the rocks...

Rich, I have a Pseudojuliodes cerasinus in my BB 120, and he seems happy. Not sure where he sleeps though.

joe

delv
10/27/2006, 09:19 PM
My various wrasses sleep in my rockwork, just kind of wedge themselves in there. I have/have had about 15 species...all healthy and happy.

d.

RichConley
10/28/2006, 10:16 AM
Anyone with sand sleepers though? Joetbs, thanks. (actual sandsleeper).

Anyone useing small sandboxes? got pics?