PDA

View Full Version : Imperator (Emporor) Angel in a reef tank? Who's got them?

smcnally
10/28/2006, 08:54 AM
A guy I know is offering me his adult Imperator Angel for free because he is breaking down his tank. He has had this fish for 6 years and told me it doesn't bother any of his corals or clams. I have seen it in his tank, and it seems to pick at rock but not the corals. He said he thinks it is because his tank had no corals in it for most of the life of the fish and it got used to eating frozen food so much. I'm planning on going over his place tomorrow to get the fish, but was curious about how many people have one in their reef tank, and how well behaved it is. I know they are known to be bad for a reef, but I'm willing to take the chance. This is a beatiful fish and has almost completed its adult transformation. Plus, it is large enough that it shouldn't (hopefully) be hard to catch if it is a problem. If anyone has pictures, it would be great too!

marinelife
10/28/2006, 09:26 AM
I have one in my 180 with SPS and clams, he has not been a problem

Chaotic Reefer4u
10/28/2006, 09:37 AM
very nice marinelife, thanx for sharing the reef piks...

smcnally
10/28/2006, 03:18 PM
Anyone else? Or is it that uncommon to get one that behaves? Nice looking tank, marinelife! Thanks for the info.

smcnally
10/29/2006, 02:22 PM
Well, wish me luck! I just finished acclimating the fish and will now watch it for a week or so. I hope it behaves, because it sure is a beauty!
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b68/stevesreef/DSC03272.jpg
My Powder Blue Tang really doen't seem to like it, so I pulled the Tang out for now and will re-introduce it later.

LePep
10/30/2006, 09:35 PM
How is everything going?

Thats one awesome fish!:thumbsup:

CeeGee
10/30/2006, 09:56 PM
they are wonderful fish. That one is spectacular!

bosborn1
10/30/2006, 10:18 PM
I have one in my 180 reef and the only thing he ever nipped was a Lobophyilla.

Scott

smcnally
10/31/2006, 05:13 AM
It seems to be going well so far. I thought I caught it nipping at some zoas last night. But then after, staring at it for abou 45 minutes, I noticed it looking all over the zoas, and then it nipped at a spot. When I looked at that spot I didn't see any bites taken out. Some of my zoa colonies have this whit sponge that grows in them. I'm wondering if that is what it was picking at. I guess I'll just have to keep a close eye and see if the zoas seem less happy over the next few days. Other than that, the fish has been great (knock on wood).

smcnally
10/31/2006, 05:15 AM
Oh yeah...I re introduced the PB Tang and it has been MUCH better. Every now and then it will show its fins, but no attacks yet.

john f
10/31/2006, 05:21 AM
Nice fish......

He will nip at some things down the road....trust me.
But that's OK if you can live without them. I think zoos and xenia would be the most likely targets.
Mine will nip at soft corals as well, but leaves sps alone.
Bad thing about these fish is once they get big they nip very aggressively and if they decide they like the taste, that item is gone.
Here is mine:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/920small_angelfish.jpg

John

smcnally
10/31/2006, 06:34 AM
Nice looking fish! I'm hoping it behaves :) The guy I got it from said it always did for him, but he told me the other day that never kept many zoas.

smcnally
11/24/2006, 01:13 PM
I forgot to let everyone know that the Imperator Angel has been CHOWING on my zoas. My zoa population has gone way down since I added the fish. The fish will be going to a new home this Sunday...bummer.

sean48183
11/24/2006, 01:24 PM
Sorry to hear about that. If I had him I would say good bye Zoos and keep the fish but that's just me. I like fish much more.

deansreef
11/24/2006, 03:24 PM
i had one for a year and this fish suddenly died...i do not know the reason. Did not bother corals; liked to pick on Squamosa clams.

DrHank
11/24/2006, 08:40 PM
A beautiful angel! I hope that you found him a good home. He's one of the best looking I've ever seen. Sorry he didn't work out.