PDA

View Full Version : *waves* Hi guys! new here

AshleyKay
10/28/2006, 06:28 PM
I always wanted a saltwater aquarium. Now that we've bought a house, I feel ready to start one. Ive been reading everything I can get my hands on, but I seem to just get more confused. I'd like to have a 75 gal tank, MAYBE a 100 gal - but I think for the space I have, the 75 will be best. Id like to have a reef tank, eventually. And I know I want a blue tang and clowns... maybe even a yellow tang, if I could have the two together. (don't want too many fish)
Im about to start reading through all the threads here and try to get a better understanding of eveyrthing... any good advice?? Any good websites I can look at that will explain , in detail what i need to get started? Im eager to learn, and I want to build this thing right the first time ;)

cward
10/28/2006, 07:01 PM
[welcome]

RC is a great place to learn about the hobby, and you can learn what you do need, and what you don't need as far equipment goes. It's also very helpful to join a local reef or saltwater club.

Good luck, and remember to ask questions if you don't find what you are looking for.

mg426
10/28/2006, 07:03 PM
Welcome to RC !!! I would be reading all the sticky threads and then posting lots of questions. Many, many smart folks on RC.

MJAnderson
10/28/2006, 07:05 PM
There are some good books to get your started, or at least able to ask the right questions. My faves is:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1890087025/reeflink

Nano Chris
10/28/2006, 09:51 PM
I have The New Marine Aquarium and it helped me a lot! I recommend it to anyone.

Andrew
10/28/2006, 09:59 PM
[welcome]

reefnetworth
10/28/2006, 10:15 PM
start in the "Reef Chemistry Forum", goto Randy's articles. you will learn what causes problems, and how to fix one if one arrises. and even better, how to prevent anything detrimental from happening by simple accidents or oversites. 'some' of it you may have to read two or three times to understand it.
Randy and Boomer are exellent and will usually respond within the same day, if not the same hour. thats whats great about this site is we all help each other. patience, research, and time. only bad things happen fast in the reef. ;)

reefnetworth
10/28/2006, 10:17 PM
BTW, almost forgot, welcome to REEF CENTRAL!!!

Randall_James
10/28/2006, 11:33 PM
Greets...:)

When you say the space you have fits a 75 are you talking about length?

If so :) I would suggest you look at a couple other options as well.

I really liked my 75 but often thought that a 90 (4" wider front to back) or even a 120 (Taller) would have been great options.

rodgod20
10/29/2006, 08:02 AM
Check out this thread....it will help you get started, basically walks though...uhh everything

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=912378

Stay on here, I picked up a few books and stayed on here.

Also, check out this site for fish profiles. And good fish for beginners.

http://www.vividaquariums.com/

And WELCOME to RC!

George Grogan
10/29/2006, 08:24 AM
Welcome from another newbie!! Also from Texas (Amarillo)!!!

In addition to the advice given above on specific threads, I would suggest clicking on the button "GET NEW" at the top of the page. It will show a list of all of the newest posts. I like to scroll down through these and see what's out there. I've found many threads full of good information that I might not have ever found otherwise. In fact, its how I found this one!

Good luck, and Hook 'em Horns!!:dance: