PDA

View Full Version : feeding sps

alebrun
10/28/2006, 09:10 PM
Which is better for feeding sps corals,cyclopesse or phytoplanktin?How long does a can of esv phytoplanktin keep in the fridge?I have a can of it in thats been in the fridge for over a year do you think its still good?

wentreefgirl
10/28/2006, 09:19 PM
I dont feed my sps. But I think the cyclopeeze is too big anyway. I dont feed phyto either as it polutes my tank. And the greenage starts growing on everything.

Lobster
10/28/2006, 09:21 PM
Corals feed on zooplankton.

Phytoplankton is not directly consumed by coral. It may benefit other life in your tank that may in turn benefit your coral though.

Cyclopeeze is too large for most SPS to consume. Its been said that acropora need foods 5-100 microns in size (such as DT's oyster eggs, BSD's Golden Pearls, etc). I have seen my stylophora catch and consume cyclopeeze many times, but I'm unsure if it digests and uses it. As with phytoplankton, it may benefit other life in your tank though.

You should search for the series of articles by Eric Bourneman on coral nutrition. Its very detailed and well worth reading.

SuperNerd
10/28/2006, 09:22 PM
Yeah last time I heard Borneman actually fed his sps Dt's Oyster eggs on a daily basis.

Cosmo^Kramer
10/28/2006, 09:24 PM
SPS are meat eaters,they eat rotifers.Rotifers eat phyto.I used to raise phyto and rotifers.I would feed the rotifers phyto,then feed the tank.I really didn't notice too much of a difference and growing phyto and rotifers became a headache.Like wentreefgirl said cyclopeeze is too big for most SPS and phyto can raise phosphates and pollute the tank if over dosed

wentreefgirl
10/28/2006, 09:25 PM
Hey Cosmo, how goes it.

Cosmo^Kramer
10/28/2006, 09:26 PM
Oyster eggs? I gotta check those out,i've been out of the loop for awhile

Cosmo^Kramer
10/28/2006, 09:28 PM
Doin ok wentreef,my tank is starting to look good again.I got the bonsai frag :) hows things your way?

wentreefgirl
10/28/2006, 09:32 PM
Going smooth. Pm'd you.

Cosmo^Kramer
10/28/2006, 09:34 PM
alebrun.check your PM :)

alebrun
10/29/2006, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the link cosmo.Do you think cyclopese is better for sun coral?

Serioussnaps
10/29/2006, 01:21 AM
Many people have pictures of cyclopeeze with their slime webs catching cyclopeeze....me too...its [profanity] they dont eat it..flat out dont [profanity] eat it and i am being blunt........been there dont that they dont [profanity] eat it....

oyster eggs i get a polyps reaction with skimmer off within hours and i feed 3 times weekly only thing is eggs polute the tank and you better have export...and great export

phyto......no opinon except i know pods like it...take it or leave it

[violation]

Serioussnaps
10/29/2006, 01:22 AM
yes cyclopeeze is great for sun coral along with piscene energetics mysis shrimp...feed every polyp...i used to keep mine in my old fuge till i went BB then they had to go

SuperNerd
10/29/2006, 02:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8435469#post8435469 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Cosmo^Kramer
Oyster eggs? I gotta check those out,i've been out of the loop for awhile

Yep. :D
Scroll down past the new DT's product:
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_additives_DTs_phytoplankton_oyster_eggs.asp?CartId

SuperNerd
10/29/2006, 02:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8436298#post8436298 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Serioussnaps
Many people have pictures of cyclopeeze with their slime webs catching cyclopeeze....me too...its [profanity] they dont eat it..flat out dont [profanity] eat it and i am being blunt........been there dont that they dont [profanity] eat it....

Are you sure about that? Whatever I see the vermetids take in I usually don't see coming back out...:confused:

mmotown
10/29/2006, 09:30 AM
I feed my SPS's Roti Feast. I read on another thread where people were using this product with good results. However I am going to mix it with the oyster eggs.

rtbm
10/29/2006, 10:42 AM
I believe I have seen acros eat cyclopeeze. At least I have seen polyps take it in. Does that not necessarily mean they are actually eating it? I does appear that they are.

MammothReefer
10/29/2006, 02:51 PM
yea me to, the frozen cycslops are pretty small, and the polyps on some sps is pretty big