PDA

View Full Version : SUGGESTIONS PLEASE -- Drilling Configuration

BadRambo
10/29/2006, 09:45 AM
Howdy All ----

Well looks like I will be drilling my new 58g glass backside for bulkhead feedthru's.

Being my first time at plumbing for reef setup, I am wondering about configuration of the holes. It appears (from my newbie perspective) that source water is taken low in the tank, the return is high -- all below the water line. And what size fittings (hole diam) would you recommend ??

I cannot drill the bottom plate (tempered) so all my plumbing will have to be from the backside which sits near a wall -- so my fittings will have to go into immediate 90 deg elbows. Do I have the general theory right, that most are using in terms of the source and return locations ?? I also notice that some use multiple source and return points, most likely to improve water turnover in the system.

Comments, suggestions please. Help me not re-invent the wheel here :D

Regards / Thanks --- Bob --- ;)

sjm817
10/29/2006, 10:21 AM
I like the "Calfo" horizontal overflow. Click me (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=473152)

BadRambo
10/29/2006, 10:40 AM
Hiya SJM ----

Well, that is quite a design --- but my guess is that it is noisy. ;)

But it also appears from the photos that the source is high (from the box) and the return is high also --- I am beginning to think it is almost a matter of preference, but if you take source water low, you have the benefit of a little bit of positive hydrostatic pressure working FOR you. But you still have to pump it back up to the top anyway.

Are there any strong opinions, one way or the other? Guess I will have to locate a source of material to fab an overflow box. Or maybe there are pre-made units that can be had and cut to size and cemented in with RTV.

So what is your opinion on general hole pattern? A couple of pickups in an overflow box and a high return???

P.S. -- I did find a couple of sources of diamond hole saws -- what is the "standard" diameter that everyone tends to use that there are plenty of fittings available for ??

Thanks ---- Bob ---- ;)

sjm817
10/29/2006, 11:19 AM
I got a 45mm from Here (http://cgi.ebay.com/45mm-Diamond-coated-drill-bit-for-tile-marble-hole-saw_W0QQitemZ180042204702QQihZ008QQcategoryZ61574QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) Worked great and was very reasonable.

I dont see why that would be a noisy design. You could just use a standard overflow box with a drilled hole. You must have a high return to prevent back siphoning.

BadRambo
10/29/2006, 11:43 AM
OK SJM -----

Then the 45mm cutter equates to about a 1 3/4" hole for the bulkhead fitting --- looks like that will accomodate a 1" pipe size nicely and is a standard fitting size.

Super. Will go with that. Seems like a single hole cut near the bottom of the overflow box would be ideal for the source feed.

Understood on the high point for the return -- to prevent siphon action. Doh!!!

If you think of anything else I should include, pass it along.

Many Thanks as usual --- Bob ---

:D

sjm817
10/29/2006, 01:30 PM
Yypically, the hole is drilled more towards the middle of the skimmer box and a Durso standpipe is used going through the overflow with just the downward facing 90 inside the tank.

BadRambo
10/29/2006, 02:53 PM
Well, at least I know now what a Durso Standpipe is....;)

So you are saying it really does not matter WHERE in the vertical overflow box the TEE and 90 deg bend really are....all the pics show them operating up toward the top of the chamber but of course fed from the bottom plate, unlike mine which must be fed from the back plate.

So really I could assemble a TEE, one 90 deg bend, and the "air hole cap" on the top and put it about mid-overflow height....is that correct ??? In my case it would not require the riser pipe from the bottom as the traditional designs do....but then I would still get the noise of falling water ---- maybe I am not picturing your idea correctly ??

Seems like, from what I read, that they do work well, with the attributes that are listed.

Might another idea be to just make a very short 6"-8" high overflow box, mount it in the upper corner, and just drill the fitting hole right here, say 2" below the water line??

Did I read that right ??? --- Thanks ---- Bob :D