PDA

View Full Version : clownfish ?'s

miniz2k6
10/29/2006, 01:58 PM
first off, i'm a newbie. don't have saltwater fish yet, but i am setting a tank up soon. i have no intentions of doing this, but just out of curiosity, if i had a ten gallon tank and let's say i go and buy two small false percs. how big will they get. will they grow the full 4" or since the tank is only a ten gallon will they be smaller than that full grown? i also have a 5 gallon acrylic tank just sitting around, would i be able to put one false perc. in it? i know they require 30 gallons but how many of you have smaller tanks? i can score a 20 gallon tank with accessories for free, so i will probably do that. i'm just curious about 5 and 10 gallon tanks. also, i seen the(DIY sump filtration) if i do that and have enough live rock, will i need to get a protein skimmer? the DIY sump system sounds like it basically just eliminates surface buildup(isn't that the same thing as a protein skimmer?) lastly, this might sound cheesy, but does anyone have some leftover or extra live rock or substrate that they would be willing to give to me to keep my costs down. any amount would be greatly appreciated and i would pay all the fees for shipping it to me. sorry for the long post.;)

Raibaru
10/29/2006, 06:57 PM
I've read quite a few posts about 10g with a pair of Oscellaris clowns. I've also seen quite a few 5.5g with Oscellaris clowns in them over at NanoReef. I believe a lot of people here actually have 10g breeder tanks?

As for the protein skimmer, it does more then just skim the surface (infact, most don't). It actually pulls the stuff from the water. The point of a sump is to increase the actually water volume to help keep a tank more stable as well as to hide some of the equiptment from the main display.

As for the live rock, you should check the classified forums or see if there is a club in your area. There is always live rock for sale at my local club because someone is always taking down their system.