PDA

View Full Version : Conbining tanks question

Rockitmakr
10/29/2006, 02:27 PM
Hello RC,
I am in the process of combining 2 reef tanks into my new 225 gallon system. I was wondering if there was an easy way to do this without upsetting the balance that is established. I have a 72 gallon & a 55 gallon, both been running for 3 years. the 72 gallon system has a refugium & the 55 does not. I have Acros & montys in both tanks & that is what worries me, the softies dont as much. I plan on using a new sand bed since I don't like the substrate in the 72 gallon. I have Bio-active aragonite, I hear that this is the best substrate available.
Any ideas??

lllosingit
10/29/2006, 02:31 PM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what your asking, Are you saying your worried about the water chemistry difference?

Rockitmakr
10/29/2006, 02:33 PM
I am worried that I will have to go through a new tank cycle period if I don't do this right.

zedman
10/29/2006, 02:38 PM
Having moved several times in the last 2 years I have found that as long as your peramiters are realitively the same I take out all of the corals and put them in bukets then I drain the water into plastic garbage cans I have used almost all of the old water and added new into the new tank, tanks. make sure water in buckets is close to temp that is in new tank ,with most of the old water live rocks and substrate I have not lost one thing in a move.should be alot easyer at the same location. any thing else I can help with I here

Zed

zedman
10/29/2006, 02:40 PM
possibly some diatoms but you will not go through a complete cycle again

Zed

Rockitmakr
10/29/2006, 02:45 PM
I can live with diatoms, nothing else.....

lllosingit
10/29/2006, 02:53 PM
A few things I would suggest, If both tanks are running independent of each other now the water chemistry may be different, to help balance them out you could take a few gallons from each to dump in the other for a few days to balance them out.
When you make the switch you want to keep as much active bacteria going to counter any possible cycle.
Several ways to do this.
If you have access to a bio wheel, float it in the tank/sump for a couple weeks or more so it will colonize with bacteria and it can be easily transferred to the new system.
Reuse some of the old sand bed even if it means putting some in nylon stockings and hanging it in the sump or tank for a couple weeks (this will also jump start the life you removed from the old sand bed)
The live rock will carry quite a bit of bacteria also but it never hurts to bring as much over as possible.

Here's a tip when setting up the new tank, Place the sand dry in the new tank, level it out the way you want it.
Place a regular dinner plate on top of the new sandbed.
Now when you start to add water, Aim for the plate keep filling like this until you have enough water in the tank to cover the live rock when it's added.
Be careful not to stir the sand when placing your rock and aim your powerheads so that they point away from the sand bed for at least the first few weeks, After the bacteria is reestablished it won't be as likely to blow around.
I've used this method several times and the water was crystal clear within 24hrs.
Keep the live rock covered in water as much as possible, sponges will die when exposed to air and your liverock likely has quite a but since it's been running for so long, I tend to thing most of the spike one sees in a change like this is from dead sponges.