PDA

View Full Version : tricane-S use

EMBRYOGUY
10/29/2006, 08:36 PM
Tricane-S is often used to sedate fish for treatment in kois. is it possible to use a sm. amt to sedate and catch an unwanted fish in a fowler or reef system?

Boomer
10/29/2006, 09:38 PM
Not a good idea in a tank. It is easy to catch fish at night while sleeping.

EMBRYOGUY
10/29/2006, 09:40 PM
yeah your prob right booomer. just trying to think outside the lines. :)

thanks for input.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/30/2006, 07:39 AM
I'm not familiar with its use, so I can't add anything useful. Sorry.

EMBRYOGUY
10/30/2006, 09:29 AM
thank you for reply anyway Randy. :)

its also called FINGUEL MS-22

Finquel Fish Anesthetic/Tranquilizer (FDA Approved)

Finquel ®(MS-222): A highly versatile anesthetic/tranquilizer for the temporary immobilization of fish, amphibians and other aquatic cold blooded animals. Finquel® has long been recognized as a valuable handling tool during manual spawning stripping, weighing, measuring, marking, sorting, transportation, photography and research. Fish anesthetized with Finquel® show rapid reversibility when placed in fresh water. The level of sedation is proportional to the strength of anesthetizing baths. Not affected by salinity.

Application Levels:

Rapid Anesthesia - induction time 2-5 minutes. Maximum Exposure: 2-3 times induction period. Dose: Finfish 100-200 mg/l (100-200ppm).

Moderately Rapid Anesthesia - Induction time less than 15-20 minutes. Use: Spawning/marking/surgical operations where longer exposures are more important than rapid immobilization. maximum exposure: 2-3 times induction period. Dose: 50-60 mg/l (most species).

Sedation - induction of sedation occurs within 15 minutes. Reactivity to visual and vibrational stimuli, opercular activity are all decreased. Use: transportation Maximum Exposure: Variable* Dose: Finfish 15-40 mg/l (ppm), Ornamental (Tropical) 60-70 mg/l (ppm). *A detailed fact sheet on Finquel® is available upon request. 1KG shipping weight is 3#. No special shipping required.

EMBRYOGUY
10/30/2006, 09:31 AM
NOTE: it says not affected by salinity :)

Boomer
10/30/2006, 11:38 AM
Yes, and here is what it is chemically, to include all the other names.

http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/chemicals/cn/Benzoic%A0acid,%A03-amino-,%A0ethyl%A0ester,%A0methanesulfonate.html

and as it says

Fish anesthetized with Finquel® show rapid reversibility when placed in fresh water.

That does not mean a tank :)

EMBRYOGUY
10/30/2006, 12:13 PM
good point :) but that term "fresh water" might be a generic term in reference to freshwater fish. "fresh water can also mean fresh saltwater" :)

but you are prob. right.

im going to get some from a friend and test it out anyway.

Boomer
10/30/2006, 12:23 PM
they also do not mean to treat a tank with this stuff. The fish is removed and put in some water and that water is treated.

EMBRYOGUY
10/30/2006, 12:43 PM
ok thanks boomer. that was just a thought.

my real hope is towards using it during freshwater dips and during times when i remove fungus off the fins with iodine swabs.

justinzimm
10/30/2006, 02:38 PM
I've used finquel/tricane/MS222 at work quite frequently. It works the same in both salt and freshwater and will slightly lower the pH of the water so we combine it with an equal weight of sodium bicarbonate. Most fish will start to go out at around 60-80 ppm (by weight, 100% reactive) Koi on the other hand can take allot more before they slow down. I haven't and wouldn't use this on a reef tank but we have used it to catch fish from exhibit aquariums where we dosed the entire system. If your having problems with your koi and fungus try salting the system. I would try about 5-6 ppt NaCl first.

Justin

webbstock
10/30/2006, 04:25 PM
I would not use the tricaine. We use it in our research to sedate and sacrifice fish, and there is a very small window of time/dose between sedatation and sacrifice. Therefore by the time the fish you want is "sedated" you may have lost other fish/inverts.