PDA

View Full Version : Kalk reactor question

george1098
10/30/2006, 06:33 AM
hi guys
I'm going to build a kalk reactor, and I was just wondering, should it be fed by ro/di water? or can i feed it with plane tank water from an aqualifter pump?

old salty
10/30/2006, 06:44 AM
RO/DI water.

sjm817
10/30/2006, 06:46 AM
RO/DI from an Aqualifter pump :)

george1098
10/30/2006, 12:52 PM
aces!

laurentb
10/30/2006, 01:06 PM
a dosing pump is great.

Shadowramy
10/30/2006, 01:58 PM
Kalk reactor are not really built for pressure, if you feed it directly from RO/DI unit it could blow the top off if it builds enough pressure.

It would be better to feed an RO/DI to a rubbermaid container (like 30-50 gallons). On the rubbermaid container attach a float switch which is hooked to the RO/DI.

Then I hook up the rubbermaid container to a dosing pump and the other end of the dosing pump to the kalk reactor. The dosing pump is plugged into a reed switch in the sump so when the water is low it turns on the pump and doses the tank with kalk.

I run the output of the kalk line up to the overflow of my tank.

george1098
10/31/2006, 10:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8444589#post8444589 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BWilfong
Kalk reactor are not really built for pressure, if you feed it directly from RO/DI unit it could blow the top off if it builds enough pressure.

It would be better to feed an RO/DI to a rubbermaid container (like 30-50 gallons). On the rubbermaid container attach a float switch which is hooked to the RO/DI.

Then I hook up the rubbermaid container to a dosing pump and the other end of the dosing pump to the kalk reactor. The dosing pump is plugged into a reed switch in the sump so when the water is low it turns on the pump and doses the tank with kalk.

I run the output of the kalk line up to the overflow of my tank.

I already have a ro/di container hooked up to a floatvale, and I use floatswitches opperationg a maxi 1200 for auto top off. I think I like your idea of replacing the maxi with an aqualifter running though a kalk reactor. thanks!

swannking
10/31/2006, 11:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8444589#post8444589 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BWilfong

It is true that kalk reactor is not built for pressure. As long as the output end of the reactor is not restricted, it should not be a problem. If your float valve is hooked up to the output of the reactor, it is going to be a problem whether it is connected to the RO/DI unit or any pumps. I use a float switch with a electrical solenoid valve to turn the RO/DI unit on which feeds the kalk reactor. For security, the solenoid is connected to a timer which will only turn on an hour a day. So if the float switch is stucked, I will not get an hour worth of water. As an extra precaution, I changed my unit from 100GPD to 25GPD so if the solenoid malfunction (Failed to close), I won't have a major disaster. My system is 500g BTW.