PDA

View Full Version : Protein skimmer HELP??

WaterbugJenn
10/30/2006, 08:13 AM
Hi all. Recently i learned how to build a venturi protein through info on these pages. I built them out of pvc not very pretty but they are working great. After success with mine i built one for my sisters 29 bow nano reef. After testing in it on one of my tanks, in which it started producing foam after 1 hour. Anyway the problem is after driving the hour to her house and installing it on her tank. Using two different rio 600rvt pumps the bubble size seems to be larger, and there are less of them. I have tried every thing, i am lost. Her SG is 1.024 and temp is 77. She is using water straight from the well for the tank. If needed she will post her water quality report in case there is something in her water that is causing this. Thank you for any help..

ohbubbles!
10/30/2006, 10:18 AM
bump

BLockamon
10/30/2006, 10:40 PM
Using straight well water probably isn't the best, but I'd doubt that it is causing the problem you are seeing. It sounds like there is something in the water that is affecting surface tension and making the bubbles larger.

Is there any new plastic, sealant, etc. in the tank? Have you used any water conditioners? Any frozen foods with gel binders?

Also, I assume you used a Rio 600 on your system for the test. If not, it could be an issue with not enough pump strength. Typically, venturi skimmers do best with larger, higher pressure pumps. For in-sump applications, I like the Sen pumps (although they are pretty big).

If you come up empty on all of the above, then we can talk about the well water.

P.S. Do you have hard water in the area? That might do something, although I don't have experience with it. Reefs really do better with RO or RO/DI water. In the long run, you will end up fighting algae like crazy if your water has a lot of phosphates (like mine does) or nitrates.

ohbubbles!
10/31/2006, 01:08 PM
There is nothing like that in the tank...nothing dosed except phytoplex and no foods. Yes, the rio600 rvt was used in all test.

The water isn't hard either...we're stumped.

BLockamon
10/31/2006, 01:29 PM
A couple more things:

1) How are you measuring SG? If its one of those bobbing needle hydrometers, make sure to get all the air off the needle. The behavior sounds like low SG.

2) Do you have calcium and alkallinity readins?

3) How longs has the tank been set up?

ohbubbles!
10/31/2006, 02:01 PM
1. yes, I am using a hydrometer. The SG was actually high when we hooked up the skimmer about 1.026 as I had not topped off evap in a few days (little lax since there are no inhabitants).

2. Give me a minute and I will go test

3. tank has been running since 7/13

ohbubbles!
10/31/2006, 02:26 PM
ok...
calcium is 450 mg/l
ph is 8.1

BLockamon
10/31/2006, 06:14 PM
Just be careful with the hydrometer. I used one for a while and found that one bubble on the pointer would mess things all up. I now use a glass bulb hydrometer (looks kind of like a thermometer that you float in the water). They are really good if you have a large enough same or calm enough water in the tank. They're pretty cheap too.

With the pH a little low (8.2--8.4 is normal, assuming the kit is reading spot on) and calcium near the upper end of the range, I'd guess that the alk (dKH) is a little low. I wouldn't expect that to have too much impact unless the salinity is also low.

It could just be a break-in thing / not enough gunk in the water. You got me sumped.

You might want to try posting in the Reef Chemistry forum. Maybe Randy will have some more ideas.