PDA

View Full Version : Killer Spider Web...

Rosterc
10/30/2006, 02:32 PM
I am new to the forum, but have read much of it trying to find out about my problem. I have found some references to worms that toss out webs to catch debris and things of that nature, but they all say they are harmless. Well three snails and a coral banded shrimp later I disagree. I do not really care what kind of worm it is, from what I see it is a brown centipede looking thing. Ugly and long, three to four inches, my guess. Never seen the whole thing. The victums are always laced in a web material. And it happens at night. Any recommendations of removal?

Paintbug
10/30/2006, 02:54 PM
what you are first describing are call vermetid snails. those are harmless filter feeders. their mucus webs do not contain anything that will kill anything. just because you see some type of web/slime doesnt mean it came from a vermetid. chance are the worm you are describing is an eunicid worm or some type of other predatorial worm. the web you see is probably actually part of the animial decaying. but as always a pic is worth a thousand words.

heres a link with lots of pics of worms you may find.
http://home2.pacific.net.ph/%7Esweetyummy42/hitchworms.html

oh yeah.
[welcome]

Rosterc
10/30/2006, 03:07 PM
No Camera yet.. Hopefully soon.. Would it matter if they died in the same spot? and would the web from decay form over night?

greenbean36191
10/30/2006, 03:11 PM
It sounds like you're describing the work of Oenone fulgida.

Paintbug
10/30/2006, 03:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8445027#post8445027 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rosterc
No Camera yet.. Hopefully soon.. Would it matter if they died in the same spot? and would the web from decay form over night?

chances are the worm has a burrow, and when ever something goes near it he smells dinner. things in saltwater decay quickly, so you could see a film of bacteria starting in just a few hours.

demonsp
10/30/2006, 04:52 PM
Yea vermatid snails are harmless but can eritate most corals if they extend there web on them. If your not happy with one move frag around so web doesnt hit other corals or just pull it out . But they are good filter feeders whene in numbers.

Sk8r
10/30/2006, 05:11 PM
The web from decay looks like a big semiclear mooshy haze surrounding the item.

I agree: these are two different creatures. the Vermetids are a mild pita, not to worry about. The Eunice Worm is a major PITA and needs to be removed. Pull the rock it lives in [using gloves] and put it in a bucket of saltwater and see if you can get it to exit its hole for, say, a piece of shrimp, offered at night. Use a flashlight, and see if you can nab it or snatch the rock away.

If that doesn't work, you may have to freshwater-dip the rock, which will do for a lot of its life, but should bring the beggar out.

Wait for second opinions. There surely will be some.

demonsp
10/30/2006, 05:15 PM
Hmm is this web feathered on one side and is it in a spiral tube or is it a flat brown booger looking think?

Rosterc
10/30/2006, 08:03 PM
I am thinking that Greenbean36191 has nailed the problem.
Oenone fulgida, futher details on http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-04/rs/index.php

The site explains removal by finding the rock and flushing it with carbonated water! (PoP) Not really what I want to do to my live rock any Opinions... it is a realitivly small peice..