PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Ammonia Detox Products & Cycling

Myrphie
10/30/2006, 07:34 PM
I recently found myself tinkering with yet another small aquarium at home and found myself confronted with a few questions I did not know the answers to. I'd like to think I'm well-versed in the ins and outs of most aspects of this hobby, but I know I don't come close to knowing it all. Hoping I can get some input from those more knowledgable than myself. Chemistry never really was my best subject.

1) Do "ammonia-detoxifying" products (in this case, Ammo-Lock) actually do what they claim? (i.e., Are fish subjected to ammonia less likely to suffer ill-effects when these products are used?)

2) Would the use of one of these products affect the reading of a typical marine aquarium ammonia test kit? (The listed ingredients for the product in question are a proprietary mix of "alphatic amine salts" which make up "greater than 17%" of the product and an unspecified amount of "sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate")

3) Would the addition of this product affect nitrifying bacteria in their ability to metabolize ammonia? (i.e., would it increase the time it takes a tank to reach a stable nitrification cycle?)

Any thoughts regarding these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/31/2006, 06:20 AM
Yes, at least some of the ammonia binding products do bind ammonia in a way that can reduce fish toxicity. Possibly unlike the effects of some products on nitrite and nitrate kits, this would seem to be an actual reaction, not just a test kit interference. Whether the product does, in fact also interfere with ammonia test kits, I'm not sure.

I do not know what impact such products have on the generation of nitrifying bacteria, but it may lengthen the cycle by keeping ammonia artificially low, preventing buildup of adequate bacteria.

Anyone else have comments?

Myrphie
10/31/2006, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the input Randy!

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/31/2006, 10:26 AM
You're welcome.

Happy Reefing. :)