PDA

View Full Version : can water from a dehumidifier be used

beach
10/31/2006, 06:03 AM
local pet store employee told me water from my basement dehumidifier can be used as top-off water.thanks in advance.beach

serpentman
10/31/2006, 06:29 AM
I would say not. Although it is theoretically pure, there is a strong likelyhood it will pick up dissolved metals from the dehumidifier condensation coils. Furthermore, if its like mine, there is always crude, dust, etc that gets in the catch bin.

I would invest in a RO/DI system.

sarduci
10/31/2006, 08:18 AM
Wow, heck no. That's water from the air. Dirt, dusk, chemicals, smoke, etc. all are in there. There's a reason is smells better outside after it rains, and it's because it pulls out all of the crud just like your dehumidifier's water.

Give it a test with a tds meter sometime, then wash off your TDS meter really good....

cayars
10/31/2006, 09:03 PM
You would be far better using water from your tap then this water.

jbittner
10/31/2006, 09:45 PM
my dehumdifier water reads a tds of 3. the water is relatively pure but I think the tds reading is all copper or other hard metals (from the condendsing coils). A dehumidifier does not act like a filter and would not pick up smoke and dirt in the air. Mine sits in my basement of a 120 year old building and sill reads at 3.

BrandonS
10/31/2006, 11:41 PM
i wouldn't use it for the reasons mentioned above, but I always thought the smell after a storm was due to the higher levels of ozone :)

2swift
10/31/2006, 11:46 PM
Would you drink a glass of water that you poured over the evap core on your AC?