PDA

View Full Version : Hair algae on LR

amike5
10/31/2006, 11:37 AM
I am setting up my tank and just got some base rock and some LR. Question is, some of this LR has hair algae on it. Is this ok? Shouldn't my display tank be hair algae free?

sir_dudeguy
10/31/2006, 01:34 PM
[welcome]

Shouldn't my display tank be hair algae free?

you'll soon find out that you're pretty much ALWAYS going to have some sort of algae or another. You'll never get rid of all algae. You can keep it to a minimum tho

But first, its a new tank. New tanks always go thru a few different algae phases, so i wouldnt worry about it at this point (specially if your cycle isnt even finished yet)

Basically, just make sure your nitrates and phosphates are down and it should go away on its own.

Also, what kinda "base" rock do you have? I got lace rock and used it as base rock on my 55....well then i read that its got metals in it and can sometimes cause problems. One of the metals it has is iron, and hair algae thrives off of iron i guess. Thats what someone told me on here. But when they meantioned that lace rock has iron and iron feeds hair algae...i remembered that i DID have a ton of hair algae in that tank even tho nitrates and phosphates were always down. So check that maybe.

kiknchikn
10/31/2006, 01:38 PM
If you're that worried about it put some macro algae in your fuge after you're done cycling and hopefully the hair algae won't be able to compete for nutrients or iron.