PDA

View Full Version : BB tank, with sand stuck to the starboard…..

kamla
10/31/2006, 01:34 PM
Hi Guys,
Need your help
I am looking for a thread or threads..

Some one wanted a BB tank, they used some sort of epoxy and sprinkled some SAND on top of it.

The tank look like it had sand button but the sand was stuck to the starboard..

Does some have that thread bookmarked.
I think they were 2 thread one with a big tank and one with a small 5 gal tank

can some one Please provide me with the links... :)
Thanks

h20cooled
10/31/2006, 09:05 PM
I did an epoxy faux sand bed in my tank and so far I like it. I basically did the same thing this person did. (http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66246)

PaintGuru
11/01/2006, 05:54 AM
I did that and changed it pretty fast due to detritus sticking to it. I can't recall if I actually made a thread about it or not :)

Aqua Keepers
11/01/2006, 08:36 AM
It'll get covered in coraline algea anyway + trap detritus. When going BB, you want the smoothest possable surface, and sand is far from that.

Biggie
11/01/2006, 08:41 AM
Try this thread for Fauxz sand beds its huge.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=392144

kamla
11/01/2006, 09:10 AM
Thax guys....
i am setting up a nano 5.5 :)

h20cooled - can i see some pics of your BB with sand.. i want see how the coraline algea looks on it..
Thax

Aqua Keepers
11/01/2006, 09:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8456516#post8456516 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Biggie
Try this thread for Fauxz sand beds its huge.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=392144

It'll still get covered in coraline algea after a while. Why would you wanna spend time and money on something that won't benifiet your system. The only reason people use starboard is because the surface is smooth enough not to trap "crap", and to protect the bottom of the tank against rock slides. Some people think it has the advantage of reflecting light. However, it's only for a short period of time as it will also get covered in coraline algea after a while. Sure, by adding a false SB you'll get the rock slide protection, but It'll trap "crap", and will eventually get covered in coraline and not look like sand anyway. Wast of time in my oppinion.

kamla
11/01/2006, 09:26 AM
Pito- i see ur point...
But hate the white look of starboard, so i thought of this...

Plus this nano is going to set up only for about a year..
No fish Only Zoos...

i might have rethink based on ur post..

Aqua Keepers
11/01/2006, 12:26 PM
The starboard will get covered also. Actually it'll get covered pretty fast. If i'm not mistaken, you're better off with sand in a softy or LPS tank, but you better check on that. If you're not planning to have mega flow, I'd just add sand.

Biggie
11/01/2006, 12:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8456757#post8456757 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pito
It'll still get covered in coraline algea after a while. Why would you wanna spend time and money on something that won't benifiet your system. The only reason people use starboard is because the surface is smooth enough not to trap "crap", and to protect the bottom of the tank against rock slides. Some people think it has the advantage of reflecting light. However, it's only for a short period of time as it will also get covered in coraline algea after a while. Sure, by adding a false SB you'll get the rock slide protection, but It'll trap "crap", and will eventually get covered in coraline and not look like sand anyway. Wast of time in my oppinion.
You dont trap anything? Perhaps you misunderstand the BB tank setup. The idea is to not have a white board but to have a natural sand bottm with the benefits of being a bare bottom tank. Sand encased in epoxy is what the faux bottom is all about. Yea it gets covered in coraline algae over time if you wish it too.
What about in the mean time you have to look at a white board on the bottom?
As far as trapping detritus? Thats incorrect. The purpose of going BB is to elliminate trapping of detritus in total. You can run higher flow rates with a BB tank and the bottom stays free of all build up of pollutants.
"A waste of time" is a matter of opinion. You can add additives to nearly elliminate all coraline growth if one choses to do so. There are many benefits to a BB tank over a DSB. I personally would never go back to a DSB just for the time saving in maintance alone not to mention your DSB is collecting poison you will eventually have to deal with and I wont.
I dont know about you but sucking out 300 lbs of sand tearing down a 300 gal tank and recycling for months to get back what I started with every couple of years isnt my idea of a good time. Id rather drink a cold one and watch the tank grow and have peace of mind as well as acylic that isnt getting scratched up with sand.

kamla
11/01/2006, 12:51 PM
Biggie - what type of epoxy did you use..???

Could i use the spay on type..
This is for a nano 5.5 gals..

Aqua Keepers
11/01/2006, 01:04 PM
Whoa man. I'm a BB fan myself and am planning and building a 125 bb system now. I understand BB and how it works. Maybe I'm Miss-understanding something about the faux system. Lets see if we can figure this out.
From my understanding the grains of sand on top of the faux can catch and hold poop as it flows by because its not smooth like starboard. If this is the case then the poop sits there until its physically removed or deteriorates in your tank. I only recomended sand because I've read that most people have a hard tome doing a softy LPS tank BB tank because of the flow required to keep the poop suspended. Although I know it can be done. I'm looking at doing SPS. And need the extra flow.

What are these additives to nearly elliminate all coraline growth? Have you used them.

kamla
11/01/2006, 02:44 PM
Pito -
there are 2 methods of doin the Flux sand bed..
1) spread out the epoxy and they sprinkle sand over it

2) mix epoxy and sand and then pour out the mixture

the first method could trap detritus (maybe)

But the second method leads to smooth surface, no chance of getting any trapped detritus.

Also after you make your Flux sand bed you could coat the bed with a second layer of epoxy and make is super smooth

Aqua Keepers
11/01/2006, 04:42 PM
Well see. You learn something new every day. I'm wondering how quick the smooth epoxy will cover with VS starboard, and still wondering about the additives to all coraline growth.

reeferNo99
11/06/2006, 07:29 AM
Does any one know..
what the mix should be...

i.e. 1 part expoy 1 part sand.. or what...

Thanks

h20cooled
11/07/2006, 10:04 PM
I ended up with around 1 part epoxy to 2 or 3 parts sand, I made a test batch before actually putting it into the tank.

I really like mine a lot, most people that see it think its real sand, but that will soon change with the onset of coraline. Right now though it has some nasty green algae as my tank is still new and fighting with the excess nutrients.

kamla
11/15/2006, 12:55 PM
How long to you have to wait before you can put water in the tank..

I set up my Flaux bed on Sunday night..
can i add water today...

Also how many WC do i need before i can start adding LR and Corals

Thax