PDA

View Full Version : what lighting to buy??

jfeva0049
10/31/2006, 04:12 PM
so i have a 90 gal tall. i want reef lighting, i would like to keep all types of coral if i can. i have to stay under $700. any advice in what to buy? thanks alot guys.....

BLockamon
10/31/2006, 05:59 PM
By 90 "tall" what do you mean? The standard 90 is 48"x18"x24". Is that your dimensions or is it 36"x18"x31".

For the standard (24" tall) 90, I'd recommend a good T5 fixture. You can also use metal halides if you like the shimmer lines, but you should be able to get all the light you need from T5.

If you mean the 31" tall model, then you're probably stuck with metal halide (250W bulbs as a minimum) if you want to keep SPS and clams all the way at the sand. If you're OK having SPS and clams up on the rocks with LPS on the sand, T5 is still an option.

Aquactinics (www.aquactinics.com) makes a good (and very reasonably priced) T5 fixture. The standard 5-bulb fixture with bulbs will run you <$450. They also make halide fixtures.

Another good maker of halide fixtures is PFO and maybe Hamilton. You'll probably be pushing (if not exceeding) $700.

jfeva0049
10/31/2006, 06:09 PM
thanks for the help. there is a nova t5 8x54 for like $500. do u think that is a good brand and price???

Der_Iron_Chef
11/01/2006, 11:49 AM
The T5 fixture looks brilliant. You won't be disappointed.

BLockamon
11/01/2006, 10:54 PM
That isn't a bad price, but to be honest, the 5x54W Aquactinics fixture (with single bulb reflectors) would be just as good. Using only one reflector really does cut down on the light output. If it were me, I'd go with the Aquactinics (which I did by the way...it arrived yesterday).

There three main reasons why I think the Aquactinics is better:
1) It will give about the same amount of light and is a little cheaper, even after buying bulbs.
2) You can get any bulbs you want. The bulbs that come with the Nova aren't bad, but they aren't the best either.
3) In the long run, the Aquactinics will be cheaper to maintain because of lower electricity and bulb replacement costs (5 vs. 8 bulbs).

Now (steping down from the soap box), that being said, either fixture will likely give you plenty of light on a 90.