PDA

View Full Version : Starting New 75 w 40 Established Tank

automaan
10/31/2006, 07:35 PM
Hi I'm new to this and have a 75 gallon tank and have been acumulating skimmer, filter, heater, testkits, etc.
All that's left is the light and live rock. We've decided to go with Tampa Bay live rock and live sand.
Today a friend offered to sell the contents of a 40 gall tank.

4 or 5 fish, 70 lbs live rock and lot's of soft coral.
How would I start this tank?
Should I put the contents of the 40 in first and than add the TBS rock, or should I start with the TBS rock first and let it cycle, and then add the other stuff. Or should I start all of it the same time.
Thanks for any help, Bob

rkelman
10/31/2006, 07:57 PM
Let it cycle with the TBS rock. Or it'll just cycle again when you add it...

automaan
11/01/2006, 01:36 PM
So if I get 75 lbs of rock and 35 lbs of sand. Cycle it for 4 to 6 weeks until the natural filtration kicks in. Then I can buy the contents of a 40 gal and add them all at once? I don't think I can do that. Maybe adding the fish and live rock and corals all at the same time and letting that cycle and adding the tbs stuff after a Quarentine. Also I'm worried that if I remove parts of the 40 gal alittle at a time might affect that tank before it's empty.
My original plan was to go with the TBS rock and move slowly from there. Buying the contents of another tank just might not be worth it. Thanks Bob