PDA

View Full Version : Tunze Osmolator Calcium Dispenser 5074

carlos_fb
11/01/2006, 11:43 AM
I have a 60 gallon reef tank but I don't have enough space to fit a calcium reactor in my stand so I'm looking for another way to dose calcium in my tank.

What do you guys think of the Tunze Osmolator Calcium Dispenser 5074

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=TZ4113

manderx
11/01/2006, 12:43 PM
i have made several passive kalk reactors that are very similar to the tunze for friends, and they work very well. only issue is you have to jiggle them once a week or so because channels form in the pile of kalk powder otherwise. the design is so simple you could use an upside down 2-liter bottle with a few 1/4" holes poked in it for in/out. the ones i made were 3x3 square tubes with a 60degree cut on the bottom so the powder settles towards one spot. a pvc fitting on top to fill with powder and some speedfits tapped in for in/out (though friction-fit 1/4 holes seems to work just as well).

the tunze says to only add a few tablespoons at a time, i don't understand why. the ones i've made that are in service get filled up 1/3 of the way (several cups).

bureau13
11/01/2006, 12:59 PM
Keep in mind that this "calcium dispenser" is a sort of "kalk reactor" not a "calcium reactor" in the usually understood meaning of the term.

jds

carlos_fb
11/01/2006, 07:29 PM
bump

dmack
11/01/2006, 08:45 PM
I just bought one. It seems well built, simple and works well. I think it is overpriced, and if you are looking for a less expensive solution, I think Manderx has a good suggestion.

carlos_fb
11/01/2006, 09:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8461109#post8461109 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dmack
I just bought one. It seems well built, simple and works well. I think it is overpriced, and if you are looking for a less expensive solution, I think Manderx has a good suggestion.

Yeah I thought the same thing when I saw it. Still a cool thing to have if you don't want to dose everyday. Thanks!

jman77
11/01/2006, 10:11 PM
Even better....

DIY auto top off http://www.aquahub.com/store/index.html

+ Aqua lifter pump ...

+ 5 gal buckett ...

:)