PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Question

dannable
11/01/2006, 05:17 PM
If I am using RO water for top offs and water changes is there any need to use Carbon? Can carbon not contribute to Nitrate building up??

If I do not need the carbon can I simply pull it from the canister? I am basically using my canister as a power head in my 35 Gallon FOWLR.

reefnetworth
11/01/2006, 05:32 PM
35 FOWLR, i would be weary of that. carbon, if not exchanged at least once a month, can release/leach back into the system. you would need about 25% water change daily and therefore decreasing beneficial bacteria building on your LR and LS, if you have LS? there are options to carbon such as "Purigen" and others that claim to remove nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, and unwanted/excess nutrients. also, keep in mind you will be making new not just adding to water everyday. :)

jdieck
11/01/2006, 05:39 PM
Carbon will remove organic compounds that are generated within the tank even if you do not add them. Things like proteins and aminoacids from fish, corals and inverts wastes, tanins from Algae growth etc. So yes it is needed even when you are using RO water.
The only way it can create nitrates is if you leave the carbon for too long so bacteria starts growing in it and start procesing the detritus. Replace it often and shall be no issue.

TekCat
11/01/2006, 05:56 PM
ditto, replace often.

Or you could fill canister with LR rubble for additional bio-filtration.

alkataz
11/01/2006, 06:39 PM
I use carbon and it adds a nice polish to the water, helps keep the yellowish tint out the water. I agree with proper maintanence it is a good source of chemical filtration.

dannable
11/01/2006, 06:51 PM
Thanks Everyone. The carbon stays.