PDA

View Full Version : Chiller Problems

55reeforlando
11/01/2006, 09:35 PM
So about 2 days ago my chiller decided it didnt want to chill anymore. Luckily I caught the problem before everything melted from the MH. I stuck my hand in the tank and it was like 86. Well anyway I haven't turned the lights on for like 2 days until today when I actually was home for a few hours and just ran the T5 actinics so the fish didnt freak out. The controller for the chiller reads 82. The digital thermometer in the tank reads about 85 now. I tried changing the set point and the variance on the controller but no luck. I reset the GFCI for the chiller and that didnt work either. I reset the circuit breaker thinking maybe that could be the problem and that didnt work either. So basically the question is this: 1) Is the chiller done? 2) Is the controller done? Any suggestions or help on the topic would be great. I'm gonna see if I can get a controller from a fellow reefer or borrow one from the LFS to test and see if it is the controller. Thanks in advance.

rreddick
11/02/2006, 08:16 AM
You may have already fixed this issue, but if not, I would suggest a volt meter and a wire with clips. Find the input relay for the thermostat, it will be a on/off contact. When the temp is to high it should close. Check with the ohmmeter to make sure the thermostat is closing the relay/contacts. Second step, if that is ok then use the jumper wire and place across the power relay to manualy engage the power to the compressor motor. If that works you have a bad controller, if it does not work then bad compressor motor.

Hope that helps.
Ron