PDA

View Full Version : Hair Algae and no light?

Wallen
11/02/2006, 01:19 PM
I have some rocks in my tank with GHA, and was wondering can i just place them in the sump with no light and have them die off? or can they live without light?

Travis L. Stevens
11/02/2006, 01:26 PM
You have to make sure that it doesn't have any light at all. This is the same pricipal as rock cooking to kill off algae. You'll want to make sure that you can control the nutrients in the tank or it will only come back or grow on different rocks.

sir_dudeguy
11/02/2006, 01:35 PM
light isnt the problem to begin with, so imo, i'd go for the actual problem instead....which would be excess nutrients (nitrates and phosphates) and even iron which can come from lace rock.

Wallen
11/02/2006, 02:48 PM
Im in the process of getting rid of it and controlling everything, found out the ro water needed to have the filters all changed. Fixed those and added phospan reactor as well, im just curious if i could speed the process up. I was just curious if no light killed it?

Wallen
11/02/2006, 10:57 PM
anyone?

sir_dudeguy
11/02/2006, 11:06 PM
it might kill it...however thats not getting rid of the real problem and it will just come back :) But those changes you made should fix the problems...so i'd wait a while, make sure you got the correct cleanup crew, and if it still isnt going away then you could possibly try that.