PDA

View Full Version : Stupid overflow question...

mfisher2112
11/02/2006, 05:14 PM
I have this overflow:

Overflow (http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Continuous-Siphon-Overflow-Box-Bulkhead-600gph_W0QQitemZ230046487591QQihZ013QQcategoryZ46310QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotoh osting)

Where the heck does the stupid airline go?

3D-Reef
11/02/2006, 05:37 PM
You connect it to a venturie on a powerhead.This will suck the air out,and keep it from breaking the syphon.

Konadog
11/02/2006, 06:00 PM
If you don't have a powerhead, just plug the air line. When you see air collecting, or need to start the siphon, you can manually suck the air out.

mfisher2112
11/02/2006, 06:08 PM
Thanks everybody. Talk about feeling stupid! LOL!

2swift
11/02/2006, 06:37 PM
Looks like a knock off of a cpr overflow!
I would recommend an aqua lifter pump to keep siphon.

mfisher2112
11/02/2006, 06:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8467660#post8467660 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 2swift
Looks like a knock off of a cpr overflow!
I would recommend an aqua lifter pump to keep siphon.

Thanks swift. Yeah, I think it is. The price was good! :) I will look into the aqualifter pump. Right now, I got the syphon going (BTW, I am sure this goes with saying, but saltwater is GROSS!) and just jammed the airline into the water container. That seems to be holding the syphon.

Simulated power outage shows so far so good on the back syphon to the pump.

This is my first sump, so I am crossing any digit that will cross that I don't flood something! *shudder*

mfisher2112
11/02/2006, 08:00 PM
Just got my sump running. everything seems to be running fantastic. Did 3 power off tests (yes, I'm a bid OCD, but water + carpet = angry better half and no more reefey for me!) Back syphon breaks perfectly, and the sump contains the water from the back syphon easily. Everything restarts great.

However, I am getting a "gurgling" in my overflow. For a lack of a better description, it seems air is getting into the overflow syphon and "burping" into the overflow chamber, thus causing a splash and gurgle.

This is my overflow:

Overflow (http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Continuous-Siphon-Overflow-Box-Bulkhead-600gph_W0QQitemZ230046487591QQihZ013QQcategoryZ46310QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotoh osting)

Any suggestions?

2swift
11/02/2006, 08:14 PM
It is called the toilet bowl effect. lol can you restrict the air flow on your over flow? batt doa will look ya up tommarro.

2swift
11/02/2006, 08:20 PM
Found the cord
Give me a second and ill show you 1 way to minimize the flush lol

mfisher2112
11/02/2006, 08:26 PM
Yep. Toilet. That's exactly what it sounds like! LOL!

Cool, thanks Swift. I appreciate the help. I want to get this thing locked down soon so I can get the phosban reactor online. I am hopefully picking up my macro algae tomorrow. Already have the cured live rock rubble in the refugium chamber. As soon as Corralife sends me my replacement pump, my CSS125 will be running as well.

I did install about a 2" pipe in the bulkhead that sits inside the overflow box. I also installed a removeable ball valve inline in the event I had to restrict the overflow.

I tried to think ahead as much as I could. Guess I wasn't as far ahead as I thought!

2swift
11/02/2006, 08:26 PM
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h183/patczeck/swtank095.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h183/patczeck/swtank096.jpg
This helps Cpr came with one did yours?

mfisher2112
11/02/2006, 08:28 PM
Ahh.. A picture is worth a thousand words.

No I expect the cost of a knock off is that there was no lid. LOL! I can fashion something out of some acrylic in the garage, though. That shouldn't be a problem.

As for the aqualifter, does it have to be an aqualifter or will another type of pump do?

Also, does that pump stay on all the time?

2swift
11/02/2006, 08:34 PM
Any 1 will do I've just had good luck so far with them and the pretty cheap.
Also you will need to check it every now and then to make sure the over flow siphon does not clog trust me it will.
No but I woul keep it above the fuge,sump.

mfisher2112
11/02/2006, 08:41 PM
Thanks a million for the help.

I took a plastic gang valve that I normally use for my drip acclimation and stuffed the air tube on that. Sucked the air out (again! I think I have had my fill of nasty tasting salt water!) and closed it off quickly. That worked to hold that.

Since I don't have a lid on mine like yours does, I took an old aquaclear hang on back filter lid and jammed that over the top. Held snugly in place with, you guessed it, duct tape!

Now, the noise was a bit lower, and the syphon was holding steady, but still splashing in the sump.

Luckily, I installed a ball valve in-line on the overflow drain. I dialed that back just a bit and PRESTO! no more splash. This overflow is rated at 600gph, but realistically, I think it can handle more than that. I have a mag 9.5 on the return end and have that dialed back to about 80 or 85%, but dialing back the overflow drain definitely worked!

Thanks for all your help! I will be picking up a pump for that syphon very quickly! Salt water is just plain Gross! :)

2swift
11/02/2006, 08:50 PM
Lol no problem!
You might wanna back down you pump to a mag 5 or 7 or your just wasting money and gaining heat just my experience if you restricting flow and restricting return.

mfisher2112
11/02/2006, 09:21 PM
hehe. Yeah, good call. I already have the mag 7 on its way. I have the mag 9.5 in there because I got it DIRT cheap (new under $60). Right now it is threaded in, so it will come right out for easy replacement.

And, hey, I will have a 9.5 for the *cough* *cough* upgrade *cough*. (my wife didn't hear that, did she??)

Sump is humming along, and the phosban reactor is inline and operating.

TAKE THAT HAIR ALGAE! MUUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

sgarrett1108
11/02/2006, 09:28 PM
I don't know if any one else has had this prob. but i have a mag 9 for a returned dialed back and never had an issue with heat. I put a mrc skimmer on fed by mag 7 and My temp increased. Does any one know if the mag 7 adds more heat than the mag 9. the skimmer also has a bluelined hd 70 on it but they aren't supposed to add much heat.

2swift
11/02/2006, 10:08 PM
Mags if restricted seem to warm up. In my experience.

mfisher2112
11/02/2006, 10:12 PM
Well, I can tell you this. I have 2 digital thermometers right now, one in the display and one in the sump. The one in the display is reading 79.8, the one in the sump is reading 79.4.

I have my 9.5 dialed back and it has been running about 3 hours or so.

I do know that mags use water to dissipate heat, so it may be that a temp problem will develop over time.

I have a mag 7 on order, I will certainly let you know which causes more of a problem.

It's probably important to note that the room temperature in that room is only about 70 degrees, and I am only running one heater in the display at the moment. I have one for the sump so that I can remove the one in the display as it is aging. So, that may be where the heat from the mag 9.5 is going.

2swift
11/02/2006, 10:26 PM
2 small heaters are better then 1 big 1
If one fails you stand a better chance of not frying or freezing your tank.

mfisher2112
11/02/2006, 11:52 PM
Very true, and wise advise.

I run two small heaters in my discus tank, and planned to run two heaters in my reef when I bought the stealth. But, now that I have put the sump in place (and discovered that the one in the display is acting fickle) I have found that the stealth I bought is too long for the sump, so I should probably take that back and get two smaller stealths to put in the sump.

I have had good luck with the stealths in my discus tank, very accurate so far.