PDA

View Full Version : Kent Nano A B to raise calcium in 120G

lakee911
11/03/2006, 10:42 AM
I'm worried about doing any large water changes at the moment--bacterial bloom recently due to lots of changes, one being 25% change last weekend.

However, my calcium is getting low, 310ppm.

Alkalinity: 8-9 dkH
Calcium: 310ppm
pH: 8-8.1

All I have at home is Kent Nano Part A and B and my tank is 120G! I think this is similiar to the Kent Tech CB stuff, but I do not know. What should I dose, rather how should I dose this stuff to get my calcium back up to snuff?

I'm new to the whole pH, Alkalinity, Calcium stuff and want to make sure I'm not overdosing something or underdosing.

Thanks!
Jason

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/03/2006, 11:45 AM
I don't know what could be special about a two part for nanos (marketing! :D ), but the calcium part of a two part is a fine way to raise calcium. Do not use the alkalinity part.

It won't have the nano, but the amounts for other two parts to use are in this calculator:

Reef chemicals calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

lakee911
11/03/2006, 12:54 PM
Well, I'd imagine that it diluted because it requires, if I remember correctly, a 15 or 30mL dose for my tank if followed the bottle. It'd be one in a week!

What are the dosage instructions on the bottle of the Tech CB? Maybe they can be converted to "Nano" and I can use the calculator?

Thx
Jason

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/03/2006, 01:00 PM
The normal Kent Tec CB has 56,000 ppm calcium. Does yours give a concentration?

lakee911
11/03/2006, 07:25 PM
Yup, yup, if I convert the concentrations of part A I get the following....

Calcium: 1650mg/oz = 55 793mg/L
Magnesium: 75mg/oz = 2 536 mg/L
Strontium: 5.8mg/oz = 196mg/L
Potassium: 21.2 mg/oz = 717mg/L
Iron: .124mg/Oz = 4mg/L

Does this mean they are the same? My instructions say to use 1ml per 4 gallons.

ppm is weight over weight, right, and this is weight over volume so I need the specific gravity to go to ppm, or is it pretty much negligible?

Thx!

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/04/2006, 06:43 AM
Yes, for purposes of the calculator, the two products are the same. :)

ppm is mg/kg, which in seawater is fairly close by not exactly the same as mg/L. In a product like this where the density is rising considerably from that of fresh water, the deviation becomes significant, but I doubt Kent pays attention to that.

lakee911
11/04/2006, 08:40 AM
Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/04/2006, 11:04 AM
:thumbsup:

Happy Reefing. :)

FLricordia
11/04/2006, 09:06 PM
I have been using the Nano Reef A/B since start up per instructions. My calcium level was just above 300 till I started using kalk in my top-off then it went to 420.
Should you panic because your calcium level has dropped a bit? Why not do a little research and slowly get things back on track with something that is recommended for your system-size wise?
http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/8473Picture_359-med.jpg

coqui1pr
11/04/2006, 09:45 PM
Maybe you should be considering a calcium reactor it will make your life a bit easier in maintaining the level of calcium and alkalinity but of course read on more about them as there are many out there in the mean time you can use the 2 part calcium additive randy has a recipe that you can make yourself and save a few bucks here is the link i used his recipe and it worked great for me until you get a calcium reactor if you need it thats depends on the type of corals that you wish to care for here is the link for the 2 part additive recipe http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

Nestor

lakee911
11/05/2006, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the concern, but that's why I'm here (to do the research). :)

I don't really have anything in my tank that would be consuming the calcium on a rapid basis. Lately there has been an explosian in coraline growth,though. With a little dosing here and maybe there and some water changes, I'm hoping I can get by with that.

Thanks
Jason

FLricordia
11/05/2006, 08:22 AM
Don't quite understand, but I am slow. Sorry, thought you were asking about the results on Nano Reef AB.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8482481#post8482481 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lakee911
[/B] Thanks for the concern, but that's why I'm here (to do the research). :)

I don't really have anything in my tank that would be consuming the calcium on a rapid basis. Lately there has been an explosian in coraline growth,though. With a little dosing here and maybe there and some water changes, I'm hoping I can get by with that.

Thanks
Jason