PDA

View Full Version : My ugly red grape & razor caulerpa

seas_inside
11/03/2006, 09:07 PM
Hi all. About a week ago, I recieved my order of "red grape" macroalgae and razor caulerpa. When they got to me, they weren't in the best condition. You can probably see that from the pic below.... What can I do to start making these algaes look better? (any nutrients I should add)

I know this was very brief, so feel free to ask quesions.

Thanks.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/136671Picture_043.jpg

(Sorry about the link, I'm still getting the hang of this photo thing)

graveyardworm
11/04/2006, 10:20 AM
How long has your tank been established? What kind of substrate? and what kind of lighting?

To post a picture to your thread just copy and paste the url like you did, but you also need to add img tags. Put this in front , and this behind it

seas_inside
11/04/2006, 10:59 AM
The tank is very close to being done cycling. It's been set up about 3 months. Black sand substrate. Lighting is just a simple flourescent.

This is a 10G going to be a dwarf seahorse tank. FOWLR (no corals, just macro)

Any other tips for the red grape?

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/136671Picture_055.jpg

graveyardworm
11/04/2006, 01:07 PM
Is there anything in there other than sand and macro? How did you cycle the tank? What kind of filtration?

I'm not even sure I can see the red grape in the pic. Regular feeding of sehorses and water changes should be sufficient to keep the macros going. The caulerpa is probably going to be a faster grower than the red grape and may outcompete it. Once you have some livestock in there you'll have to determine if the macros are going to require anything extra.

seas_inside
11/04/2006, 05:21 PM
Graveyardworm, that IS the red grape (but it doesn't have any grapes) :(

There are two nassarius vibex snails. I used the fishless cycle. My filter is the HOB AquaClear30.

Samala
11/04/2006, 06:30 PM
Wha? I see the razor Caulerpa a bit in the first photo.. but I dont see any red grape macroalgae at all. Did the grapes fall off the vine?

Did they look just like this when they arrived?

>Sarah

seas_inside
11/05/2006, 11:27 AM
I know...sad.... there are no grapes and they arrived like this. I've heard that sometimes red grapes don't tolerate shipping well, and I saw some grapes floating around in the shipping bag.

Any tips?

graveyardworm
11/05/2006, 07:04 PM
Are you currently testing any water parameters? I would verify that nitrates are available, and alittle bit of food for the snails each day. Not much more than that you can do other than cross your fingers and hope for the best.