PDA

View Full Version : New Candy Cane/Trumpet Coral

dbraun15
11/03/2006, 09:47 PM
I just bought my first LPS-- a small 6 head piece of neon green candy/trumpet coral--I put it into my tank yesterday evening and put it into some rock work in the bottom third of the tank and the neon green seems to be turning a duller brown color in a couple spots and hasn't quite fully opened--My water params are trate-0, ammonia-0, ph 8.3--I have a 24 nano cube with stock lighting--my questions-- is it getting enough light or do I need to move it up? The zoas, mushrooms, and leather that I have all are healthy and thriving and opened up within a couple hours--should I be concerned? Rememer first LPS--thanks for your help!!

AIMFish
11/03/2006, 11:36 PM
I would test kH and calcium, maybe temp. just to make sure. What are the stock lights, size and spectrum on a 24NC?

dbraun15
11/04/2006, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the reply aimfish--the temp is fine at 80-82 F--the nc 24 stock lighting is, i think, 2 36 watt compacts alomg with 2 actinic(don't know wattage)-- i haven't checked for calcium--what is kH? Should I move it up higher in the tank?

Gary Majchrzak
11/04/2006, 08:17 AM
dkH = degrees karbonate hardness
Germanic measuring unit of alkalinity
Purchase calcium and alkalinity test kits. ;)

nmprisons
11/04/2006, 09:33 AM
your lighting is fine ... check for calcium, alkalinity, magnesium

it may just need a day or so to adjust

dbraun15
11/04/2006, 10:05 AM
thanks for the help fellas--I will do the calcium test when I go to the LFS to get some water--I will also try to move it up a little--I was finally able to use the search function on RC and saw that a lot of people have them higher in nano cubes--amazing how this hobby can hook you and worry you at the same time!!!

zombiereef
11/04/2006, 08:59 PM
you may have a chemical war going on. your zoas, leather and mushrooms will try to fight it off with toxins, especially in a 24g. just an idea.

dbraun15
11/07/2006, 05:07 PM
The corals that I have in the tank aren't remotely close to one another--is it still possible for the other to excrete toxins that could cause this "bruising"--

Illuminati
11/07/2006, 05:48 PM
I would just wait and see what happens. Do you get any tentacle extension after lights out? I usually feed mine like 15 minutes after lights out. Just take some mysis (or brine if you have to - brine sucks IMO) and with a turkey baster gently shoot the shrimp into the center of each head.

I keep all 3 of mine on the sandbed of my 24 NanoCube DX. You can see them here (2 Blue Candycanes in the center, the green one on the right):

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/colinadam/tank101820012.jpg