PDA

View Full Version : LTA with SPS's?

naterealbig
11/03/2006, 09:51 PM
Well, I bought an anemone (long tentacled) for my up and coming reef. Currently the inhabitants are 1 maroon clown, 1 blue damsel, 1 T. Maxima. I was browsing through wwm and saw that the LTA's aren't compatible with corals (I'm planning on sps). How bad did I screw up? Is there anyone out there who keeps LTA's with thier sps's? Let me know, I will remove the LTA if necessary. As always, thanks for your help.

Nate

Sk8r
11/03/2006, 10:02 PM
I have done it in a 100g, with fair success---they kept outgrowing the tank and I kept selling them on. The clown may keep it corralled, [pardon pun] enough to keep it out of the corals, but if it starts getting restless, worry. And make sure it doesn't get into a chemical war with another coral, including softies, which can really po a 'nem. It can take out your tank if it really gets into it with some corals, but if you watch its mood and its ph and alkalinity [two causes of nem dissatisfaction] you may be able to keep it.

naterealbig
11/03/2006, 11:58 PM
I don't plan on keeping any softies, just sps. I guess I will wait and see what happens. He seems content, if not 'happy' how things are now. I suppose I will try some sps in a couple of months; if the anemone gets restless I will just remove him. The lfs in Jax is run by some pretty cool guys - shouldn't be a problem returning it.

Sk8r
11/04/2006, 12:11 AM
That's good. I think it very much depends on a bunch of variables, your flow, your clown, that particular nem, and just the way the rocks are set. If he attaches solidly he may become a model citizen. Or not. Best of luck with him!

naterealbig
11/04/2006, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the help

nam2212
11/04/2006, 09:47 AM
Most LTAs should try to bury their foot in the sand, so you might be able to keep most of the SPS higher in the rockwork. I would just give it a lot of room at the bottom.

naterealbig
11/04/2006, 08:38 PM
hmmm, well, he didn't bury itself in the sand. He's attached to a rock right now about half way up the water column. Will I have to be careful of him physically stinging the corals, or will there be "chemical warfare" that I have heard many speak of?

nam2212
11/04/2006, 08:42 PM
If he takes a stroll in the tank, he will definitely sting anything that he comes into contact with. I am not sure about the chemical warfare, but anemones are definitely aggressive.

naterealbig
11/04/2006, 09:59 PM
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think I'm just going to trade him in for something else. It's so beautifu though. Thanks for the advice bro.