PDA

View Full Version : using sulphur for calcium???

dangerrrr
11/04/2006, 01:55 AM
have been investigating the prospect of using a sulphur nitrate filter. the deltec NF511 to be exact, and have read on numerous times that the reactors output water PH levels can be around 7. now the question i want to ask is can i connect a calcium reactor in-line and get rid of my co2 bottle? i have a korallin c1501 so we'll use that reactor as the example.

thanks for any help!!!

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/04/2006, 07:55 AM
Not really, no.

I discuss that here:

Nitrate in the Reef Aquarium
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/august2003/chem.htm

from it:

7. Use a sulfur denitrator. In these systems, bacteria use elemental sulfur and produce N2 from it and nitrate according the following equation (or something similar):

2 H2O + 5 S + 6 NO3- --> 3 N2 + 5 SO4-- + 4 H+

It has also been suggested to pass the effluent of such a reactor through a bed of aragonite to use the acid (H+) produced to dissolve the calcium carbonate, and thereby provide calcium and alkalinity to the aquarium.

While that is a fine idea, it doesn’t add much calcium and alkalinity to most aquaria.

To estimate the magnitude of the effect, we start with a liberal estimate of how much nitrate might be removed. Say 10 ppm of nitrate per week.

10 ppm nitrate = 0.16 mmole/L of nitrate

Since 4 moles of H+ are produced for every 6 moles of nitrate consumed, this will produce

0.107 mmoles/L of H+ per week

How much calcium this could produce?
Assume that it takes one proton to dissolve one calcium carbonate:

CaCO3 + H+ --> Ca++ + HCO3-

Clearly, this is a substantial overestimate because much of the acid will be used up driving the pH down to the point where CaCO3 can even begin to dissolve. Consequently, we have an upside limit of

0.107 mmoles of Ca++ per week

since calcium weighs 40 mg/mmol, that's

4.3 ppm Ca++ per week.

For comparison, an aquarist adding 2% of the tank volume in saturated limewater daily is adding on the order of 16 ppm of calcium per day. Consequently, this method may not be especially useful for maintaining calcium and alkalinity levels. On the other hand, the acid produced will have a long term lowering effect on the alkalinity, so if you use it, watch the alkalinity.

As to its actual ability to reduce nitrate, I cannot say for sure. I expect that it can be made to work, but the only aquarist that I have spoken to that uses one has had considerable difficulty with it.