PDA

View Full Version : Green Chromis...least hardy fish?

jwheeler
11/04/2006, 08:34 PM
I've been thru about 25 of these blue/green chromis in the last 2 months, and I only have one left. These are the cheapest fish I've ever seen in the LFS, but does everyone have this problem of them dying off after a week or so? I've had 2 friends say they have had the same problem with them, just wondered if everyone did. I have a 180g tank, and was wanting to get a shoal of them together. I've had 3 different tanks over 5 years and have never been able to succesfully keep them alive, except there is usually 1 or 2 that toughs it out. I guess I should give up on them, what is another species that I can get to shoal?
Thanks

Andrew
11/04/2006, 08:35 PM
They shouldn't just be dieing. I would say something is wrong with the ones you're getting. It's true that they will kill each other off in the long run but they shouldn't be dieing that fast.

derekman
11/04/2006, 09:00 PM
they seem to die because IME they are just as finicky as anthias when they get in the tank (despite what guides say). Especially if there are already other fish and chromis in the tank. they have what I have observed brutal pecking tactics among their hierarchy. I, after my last round of chromis I think I am done until the last remaining one dies (which should be never since he's a fat pig) maybe next time I will fatten them up in a smaller aquarium first before introducing them into the display tank (QT doesn't seem to be enough time to get them comfortable) I don't know I'm with you on this. BTW they last me about 2-3 mo a round. As for schoaling fish, cardinals are really neat and easy! I have kept them very successfully in the past. I am really into anthias right now though.

vanmo92
11/04/2006, 09:52 PM
Either something is wrong with your tank or (more likely) the ones you are getting.

hubris007
11/04/2006, 09:57 PM
Have you tried adding salt to the tap water?

syddakyd
11/05/2006, 01:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8480722#post8480722 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hubris007
Have you tried adding salt to the tap water?

lmfao

bboyin4lyf
11/05/2006, 01:27 AM
I agree. I bought four from a dealer then a week later they were all dead. Bought four more from another shop and the same thing happened. All other fish, corals and levels are fine.

buzzer
11/05/2006, 02:35 PM
Ive had my 3 for 2 and a half years with no probs at all, in fact 2 are regularly laying eggs.
It sounds as though there is something wrong with the fish you are buying.
Are they from the same LFS as they could be having problems with the way they are being caught (possibly cyanide) which I believe is not that common anymore but still known.

jwheeler
11/05/2006, 03:26 PM
I've got 12 from Premium Aquatics, and then got 10 from a LFS, don't remember if I got anymore than that, but only have 1 left. And have had bad luck with any species from Petco. Other fish are doing fine for 2 months, I have several shrimp, snails, wheeler goby and clowns.

Sk8r
11/05/2006, 03:36 PM
They kill each other until only one is left---I'm not kidding. They fit the herd to the tank size, unless there is a greater threat to their lives, like a blue velvet damsel.