PDA

View Full Version : What's the benefit of "cheato" and a refugium ?

crhis
11/04/2006, 10:16 PM
I understand the purpose of a refugium .......but I really do not know why "cheato" is so helpful to my system.
any input is appreciated .

demonsp
11/04/2006, 10:22 PM
It helps with nitrates and phospates . This also works best if you light refug at night whene main lights off. Also great for pod growth. There are other reasons i cant think of but im sure someone will.

hubris007
11/04/2006, 10:25 PM
Chaeto doesn't "go sexual" on you like the caulerpas do. That's a bonus. Definately good for nitrate export, once you start removing it, that is. Makes a great jungle gym for pods, too.

Aliie
11/05/2006, 09:14 PM
How new at this am I? What is Chaeto & refugium? I have no idea and see it all the time around here just never got the nerve to ask.
Heard through the grapevine that Hubris was a nice guy and okay to ask him questions. Can you help me please?

FelipeBastos
11/05/2006, 10:05 PM
Allie:

Chaeto is simply a macroalgae. It uses nitrates and phosphates in the water to grow ( as well as light).

A refugium is a separate part of your system, whether a whole new tank hooked up to the main display, or a part of your sump, or a corner in your display, or a mini tank hanginf from your display, where you can grow mini crustaceans, plants and other things without predatory forms of life, therefore, creating a refugee area where they can gropw happy and predator-free.

Google image chaeto or chaetomorpha and something should come up. but if you imagine a dark green brillo pad, you got the main idea of what it is.

Hope this helps, and never be afraid to ask - everyone was a newbie once, most, including me, still are.

Ciao,

Felipe

PatMayo
11/06/2006, 12:12 AM
It also helps to maintain the ph level in your tank. Typically when lights are on the ph rises. At night when the lights are off ph lowers. Having macro algae in a sump or refugium will help to keep the ph up. I have mine on a light cycle that is opposite the main lights.

If you have a problem with pest algea's in the main tank it's typically caused by high nutrients or phosphates etc. If you use a Reactor with Rowaphos and a macro algae along with feeding only what your fish and other critters will eat you will defeat the bad algae. It just takes time.

Regards,

Pat

hubris007
11/06/2006, 07:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8486386#post8486386 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aliie
Heard through the grapevine that Hubris was a nice guy

Heh, you need a better grapevine.

Aliie
11/06/2006, 04:02 PM
Thanks Felipe. I'll see what I can find. Sometimes sites give TMI and I can't desypher what I need from them. I've asked a Q: on 3 different threads and can't get anyone to answer it. Could you possibly help with it?

Yes sir Mr. Hubris sir. I will find another grapevine. Sorry to invade the barrier. Won't happen again.

FelipeBastos
11/06/2006, 05:32 PM
Allie,

I will try looking for the threads and do the best I can with them.

In the meantime, if you would like topost the Q's here, i'd be happy to oblige!

FB

Krazy
11/06/2006, 06:01 PM
can one just put ALOT of rubble rock in the refugium instead of macro to host pods ??? I know you wont get the export but wont the skimmer and water changes do that part anyways ???

Right now I have my baffles both filled with tiny pieces of rubble rock, and I'd like to do my other set of baffles with it, and then maybe a few bigger pieces where I have room in the 1st chamber and the unused skimmer area...

Would that work ???

FelipeBastos
11/06/2006, 07:35 PM
The protein skimmer does not export nitrates like macro algaes do. Just organics.

hubris007
11/06/2006, 07:49 PM
Aye, but it exports the proteins before they become the nitrates.

Aliie
11/06/2006, 08:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8491554#post8491554 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FelipeBastos
Allie,

I will try looking for the threads and do the best I can with them.

In the meantime, if you would like topost the Q's here, i'd be happy to oblige!

FB
Thank you for your effort in finding me a few answers. I don't know what topposts on the Q's are but it sounds fun. I don't know anyone with salt water tanks and everytime I ask a Q: at LFS I get conflicting answers. I feel like I picked the wrong hobby sometimes, even most of the newbies know more that I do, but I want to learn.

FelipeBastos
11/06/2006, 08:51 PM
Allie,

Just repost any questions you have here, or even PM me.
I'd be glad to help with what I can.

Felipe

CarmieJo
11/06/2006, 10:10 PM
You might want to listen to this podcast about refugiums. http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1161
If you don't have an iPod or MP3 player you can still listen right on your computer.

hubris007
11/07/2006, 07:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8493527#post8493527 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CarmieJo
You might want to listen to this podcast about refugiums. http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1161
If you don't have an iPod or MP3 player you can still listen right on your computer.

Heh, and this is why i come out of the lounge once in a while. Hadn't come across talkingreef yet. Got to check that out.