PDA

View Full Version : Tank stand help needed

cheng
11/05/2006, 06:54 AM
I am in the midst of setting up a tank in my office. Looking at 6x4x2 feet. What type of stand can take the weight of the tank? How heavy will the tank weigh? Appreciate any advice given.

clsanchez77
11/05/2006, 07:11 AM
Visit the DIY forum on this board. Tank stands have been beaten to death and they can help out. A 360g is a pretty good size but over in the large aquarium section of this forum, there are plenty of 500g+ systems being custome built. You can visit that forum as well.

Here are my tips, but keep in mind, this has been done hundreds of times, and each one a different way.

If I were building it, I would go with 2"x4" top framing to support the tank, 2"x4" bottom framing to bear on the ground, 2"x2" vertical framing, sheated sides with 3/4" plywood, faced on the front and back with 1"x6". I would support the 2"x4" framing at the sides and mid-points and provide horizontal bracing of the 2"x4" at 2' spacing. 2"x2" should bear directly on the bottom 2"x4" and the top 2"x4" framing should bear directly on the 2"x2"; no shear connections. All glued joints. If going with DSB, I would conceal at least 4" of the bottom of the tank.

Good Luck

Chris

cheng
11/05/2006, 07:27 AM
How about levelling of the tank? do i make the legs of different lengths so that they are level? i am not sure how to level tanks.

DgenR8
11/05/2006, 07:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8482088#post8482088 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cheng
How about levelling of the tank? do i make the legs of different lengths so that they are level? i am not sure how to level tanks.

It would be best if you start with a level floor. What is your situation? Are you on a concrete slab, or finished floor. Is it out of level to begin with??

cheng
11/05/2006, 07:54 AM
the base is concrete nut i have a layer of carpeting on top of it. the tank stand will rest on the carpeted floor. its not level

DgenR8
11/05/2006, 08:11 AM
I would lay 2X4's flat where the tank will go, and screw them at the corners. Using a level, find your high and low spots, then use shims to get that base level, and nail it into the slab. Once you have that level base to start with, you can build your stand nice and square, and your tank will sit nice and level on it.

DgenR8
11/05/2006, 08:12 AM
You will need to get hard wood shims, Cedar or Pine will not do. and fill the voids between the floor and stand base well so there is no room for "give"

cheng
11/05/2006, 08:54 AM
i still don't quite understand what is meant by 2x4's and shims. let's say i have 4 legs for my stand, i have to put something under 1 of the legs till the entire structure is level? sorry for the many questions

DgenR8
11/05/2006, 09:06 AM
2X4 is a term used for a piece of lumber. It's meant as 2" by 4" As time has gone by, these 2X4 pieces of lumber have shrunk and are now sold as 2X4's, but in actuality measure 1.5"X 3.5"
If your tank has a six feet by four feet foot print, you would lay a 6 footer (on the flat, 3.5" side) to represent the front, and another to represent the back. You then lay two 4 footers to represent the sides (actually, 3" shorter than 4 feet, as you have to allow for the size of the lumber). Once you fasten the corners securely, you have a base for your stand made from 2x4 lumber.
Shims are just wedhe shaped pieces of wood that you can slide in between the floor and base of your stand to fill any gaps, and make the base perfectly level.

cheng
11/05/2006, 09:20 AM
thank you so much for taking time to explain to me . i think i got it. will using wood be better or aluminium/metal be better?

DgenR8
11/05/2006, 03:05 PM
When it comes to a salt water tank, I would stay away from anything that will rust/corrode. Then again, I suppose that wood will eventually rot too, so I guess you should use what ever is easier for you to obtain/work with.