PDA

View Full Version : How much salt?

rcbc3384
11/05/2006, 07:24 PM
Hello
Does anyone know exactly how much sea salt is needed in a one gallon container to get to 1.025? And what do you use to get a good measurement?
Thanks
Rick

MarineFiend
11/05/2006, 07:28 PM
It differs from salt manufacturers, try starting with a cup of salt them adjusting from there.

That is a very good question.

rcbc3384
11/05/2006, 07:34 PM
I use "Instant Ocean" sea salt. Is that a good brand?

loves saltwater
11/05/2006, 07:40 PM
I use Instant Ocean when I have to mix but I prefer to buy it from my LFS

Tempset
11/05/2006, 08:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8485711#post8485711 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rcbc3384
I use "Instant Ocean" sea salt. Is that a good brand?

Instant Ocean is fine. Start with just the 1 cup like the poster above mentioned.

http://www.marineland.com/products/consumer/pic2/con_pic2_iosalts.jpg

Wait 1 hour, test the salinity. Add in tablespoon amounts until you get closer to the salinity you are looking for. When you are getting even closer to your desired salinity but don't want to go over, user teaspoon's or even smaller.

Wait 1 hour after each addition of ANY salt. This gives the salt the proper mixing time. Make sure you have a power head on and blowing & a low wattage heater to help with mixing the salt.

The good news in all of this is that once you've figured out how much salt you need (this depends upon which brand of salt you are using) for 1 gallon - you'll not need to do this whole setup again. From this moment you'll know that you'll need X amount of cups or tablespoon's per gallon of water to get your desired salinity.

As far as measuring salinity and specific gravity, you'll want to eventually purchase a "refractometer". Cheap hydrometer's will get you by but they are notorious for having inaccurate results and need to have simple math applied to them to be correct. (my first hydrometer needed to subtract 5 points in order to be read correctly)

I've purchased a refractometer from marinedepot.com.

http://www.marinedepot.com/IMD/marinedepot_refractometer.jpg

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_thermometers_refractometers_hydrometers_captive_purity_refractometer.asp?CartId=

A refractometer is known to be the official and best way to read the level of salt in water. As far as aquarium hobbiest go, if you plan to be in the hobby for any length of time greater than a few months (indicating you will be a serious hobbiest) should invest in one.

IslandCrow
11/05/2006, 08:24 PM
Actually, I believe it's 1/2 cup per gallon on the directions for IO. I probably use just a little more than that to get 35 ppt, which I believe is just a little over 1.025. What I actually do is purposely mix it stronger than I need it, stick a powerhead in overnight to get it nice and mixed/aerated. Then I add water as necessary the next day to get it to 35 ppt. Why do I do this? It's easier to add water than to add and dissolve salt.

As for the refractometer. . .one of my better investments! I have the exact model Tempset is showing, and it's been dead on for 6 months without needing to be calibrated once (I check the calibration monthly).