PDA

View Full Version : such a thing as too much light?

nickjcunningham
11/06/2006, 03:29 AM
I am currently in the "research" stage of setting up my first sw tank and am trying to determine the type and amount of lighting to use. I have 400w MH "grow" light and was just wondering if this could be used effectively for a 30g tank. Based on my reading this would be overkill but, since I already have the light I was hoping to avoid the expence of going out and buying something smaller. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

serpentman
11/06/2006, 05:41 AM
It really is relative to what you want to keep: sps, lps, soft corals, FOWLR, etc.

I agree that a 400W MH on that tank would be a bit overkill for most everything. In addition to the intense lighting, I would be concerned about heat as that could cook a tank that size.

Steven Pro
11/06/2006, 08:39 AM
There is such a thing as too much light. It is called photo-inhibition. It varies by what you want to keep.

Dante_Slithers
11/06/2006, 10:23 AM
I would be very worried about heat and evaporation. On a tank that size with that much light, you would most definitely need a chiller.

Jay

nickjcunningham
11/06/2006, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the help! Any suggestions as to a better lighting choice?

serpentman
11/06/2006, 11:22 AM
The best way to approach lighting is to establish which types of animals you wish to keep and design the proper lighting scheme from there. If you can further clarify, it would be easier to make suggestions.

tkeracer619
11/06/2006, 12:01 PM
I would not do it. Way overkill. By the time you replace the first bulb on a good electronic ballast 175 with a reef bulb it would have paid for itself compared to the 400w grow setups electric bill. I assume its a magnetic ballast.

With a 175 you would be able to keep anything. You would need shade for lower light corals though.

With the 400 you will be evaping tons of water and will be using a chiller to keep it cool. If you get the temp good then you will probably bleach anything you put in it.