PDA

View Full Version : 2 part question for Randy's 2 part Recipe

rdnyva
11/06/2006, 07:13 AM
I have been dosing Lime water at night and Randy's Part 2 (ALK) in the morning. The Lime is to keep stabilize the PH at night, and also raises my calcium, which is around 450. Part 2 was added to keep my ALK up. At first I added 6 ML per day to kee pthe alk around 9.5, than had to ad 8ML and now 10ML and my alk is only 7.6.

So here's my questions:
1. Does Part 2 lose it's potency over time? (Like limewater does) ( I keep the part 2 in a covered jar)

2. What causes ALK to drop?

Thanks for any input.

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/06/2006, 07:35 AM
No, the two part will never loose potency. :)

Alkalinity drops in the aquarium as the demand by organisms (to deposit calcium carbonate skeletons and such) and abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate (on heaters, pumps, etc) outstrips the additions.

rdnyva
11/06/2006, 07:41 AM
Thanks Randy. My tank is relatively new (6 months). I have 5 fish (small YT, Royal Gramma, 6 line, pair of small T Clowns). Just beginning to stock with corals (hammer, frogspawn, acropora, zoos, kenya tree, candy cane, monti cap), all are frags and not large. So if I understand you correctly, as I add corals I will need to monitor my ALK and increase Part 2 accordingly?

Thanks again

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/06/2006, 07:44 AM
Yes, as corals and coralline algae grow larger or more numerous, demand may rise. :)

rdnyva
11/06/2006, 08:05 AM
I'm starting to understand how this works and how everything affects everything else. Now I need more help. I added 10 ml part 2 this morning which raised my alk from 7.6 to 8.4. I went to the RC Chemistry Calculator and input the following data

water volume: 180 gallons
current alk: 8.4dkh
desired alk: 10dkh

It tells me I need to add 205.7 ml of Randy's recipe 1 alk part

Can this be correct? Sounds like an awful lot since 10 ml raised my alk .8 this morning.

Also how fast can I safely raise the alk.

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/06/2006, 11:00 AM
The calculator is correct. I expect there was some testing error in the first noted rise. You can generally add alkalinity as fast as you need to, with the caveat that big additions of Recipe 1 will also boost pH significantly, so make sure the pH does not get too high.