PDA

View Full Version : Purple up, tell me your experience with it

coryjac0b
11/06/2006, 08:08 AM
I just got a large amount of live rock added to my tank, and i wish to use Purple Up as a coralline algae accelerator, is it worth the 15-20$? tell me your experience with it please

RichConley
11/06/2006, 08:44 AM
No. Its insoluble aragonite in a bottle, IIRC. There have been all sorts of issues with it. Check Randy's forum.

Just do your usual kalk drip/whatever, and you'll be fine.

Tang Salad
11/06/2006, 08:55 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=963231&highlight=purple+up

DarthBaiter
11/06/2006, 12:24 PM
I just finished using up a bottle in my tank. It got me coral line algae but I have no way to compare it to anything. I would buy another bottle for a new tank if I was starting one.

JeffersonReef
11/06/2006, 01:02 PM
It doesnt do anything beneficial for your tank. You will get some corraline aglae growth... but it doesnt work for supplying calcium/ etc for your reef inhabitants. Really pretty useless. I used 1 bottle of purple up... and I got lots of purple alright... as well as some cyano. Now I use kalkwasser in my makeup water, and I also dose B-Ionic 2-part. It is working really well... also the kalk helps precipitate phosphate and keep ph levels high. HTH.

BTW... here is the DIY kalk dripper I made... so easy it HURTS!
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/nftt/index.php

twon8
11/06/2006, 01:06 PM
complete waste of money

DarthBaiter
11/06/2006, 02:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8489853#post8489853 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by antjefferson
It doesnt do anything beneficial for your tank. You will get some corraline aglae growth... but it doesnt work for supplying calcium/ etc for your reef inhabitants. Really pretty useless. I used 1 bottle of purple up... and I got lots of purple alright... as well as some cyano.

:confused: They don't claim much other than that you will get purple coraline algae...so you are saying that it works as claimed... :confused:
Nice simple kalk dripper...going to have to mod one of those for my two part. :thumbsup:

geckofrog
11/06/2006, 03:22 PM
complete waste of money.

useless.

drip kalk.

BigJPDC
11/06/2006, 04:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8489853#post8489853 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by antjefferson

BTW... here is the DIY kalk dripper I made... so easy it HURTS!
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/nftt/index.php

Awesome looking DIY! How long does a full bottle of Aquafina last, dripping 1/sec?

jp

Bebo77
11/06/2006, 04:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8489898#post8489898 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by twon8
complete waste of money

i agree:o

JeffersonReef
11/06/2006, 04:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8490988#post8490988 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BigJPDC
Awesome looking DIY! How long does a full bottle of Aquafina last, dripping 1/sec?

jp

Im not sure about the aquafina bottle... I used a 1 gal water jug. I set it to drip about once per second, and it takes all night to deliver the one gal. Works really well... it took me like 2 minutes to "build" it. Then, dripping kalk is as easy as putting in water... put in kalk.. shake... put in rest of water... set jug over sump... blow in airline tube... walk away. :P

JeffersonReef
11/06/2006, 04:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8490514#post8490514 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DarthBaiter
:confused: They don't claim much other than that you will get purple coraline algae...so you are saying that it works as claimed... :confused:
Nice simple kalk dripper...going to have to mod one of those for my two part. :thumbsup:

The purple up did exactly what it said it would do for me.... I got purple rocks. period. Did nothing for my tank parameters. Also, no corraline grew on the glass, plumbing, etc... since the aragonite just falls on the rock. So... just the rocks and all of the hermit crab shells turned purple. Everyone else is right.... dose Kalk~! It is actually cheaper.... purp up costs like $20.... you can buy limewater for like $5 or kalk for $10... and that DIY Kalk dripper cost me like $6 to make... may cost you less if you have airline, etc sitting around. HTH!!

-Tony