PDA

View Full Version : help ID to save coral..

lookout888
11/06/2006, 12:56 PM
Well...
My orange monti has some white spots on him. It is not sand, I blast him every week to get off stuff that has landed on him. I took some pictures today, I am not sure if this is the culprit or not. I thought about the Nudibranchs that eat the coral but I don’t know... Any id and Eradication help would be grateful.
http://www.lookout888.com/Help/help1.jpg
http://www.lookout888.com/Help/help2.jpg
Thanks
Mike

onehundred20
11/06/2006, 01:01 PM
monti flatworm or nudibranch?

twon8
11/06/2006, 01:05 PM
that looks like a monti eating nudibranch, you need to pull it out and look on the underside, that is where the nudi's prefer to hide.

lookout888
11/06/2006, 01:06 PM
I have 3 other monti's. This one has been in my tank for about 1 year. I can not QT it or remove it. I have not added anything to my tank in a little while. If this is it what is the best way to get rid of them. I already have a 6 line. Do peppermint shrimp eat them? I did have him(peppermint shrimp) in my tank but moved him to another. Wonder if he was keeping them off..

Any ideas.

lookout888
11/06/2006, 03:19 PM
ok. I took it out, the under side looks awesome. Did not see one thing on it. No spots or anything. Any ideas, going to go test Calcium. Not sure if this will cause it. My kalk reactor broke 3 weeks about and I just finished rebuilding it but have not hooked it up.

Calcium was fine at 390-400.

The thing in the picture may not have been it . i went to get it with tweezers and as i put my hand in I deflected some water flow towards it and it fell off like sand.

Please any other advice I do not want to loss this coral.

Thanks
Mike

Dansin
11/06/2006, 04:18 PM
My first thoughts were it may be salt. Could it have been some salt? Good luck. Great looking peace of corol.

twon8
11/06/2006, 04:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8491116#post8491116 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dansin
My first thoughts were it may be salt. Could it have been some salt? Good luck. Great looking peace of corol.

that;s a good guess, maybe some salt creep settled on it, burning a local area. if there is nothing on the underside i wouldn't worry about it, it will recover quickly.

mhltcob
11/06/2006, 04:54 PM
I agree with the last two posts. To me it doesn't look like it was caused by nudibranchs but rather a bit of salt creep or chemical (such as biocalcium).

onehundred20
11/06/2006, 05:22 PM
ya if it fell of like that its prolly just something you put in the tank maybe a chunk of salt like they said.

lookout888
11/06/2006, 06:24 PM
The only thing it could be is sand. I do not put any chemicals in my tank, Just kalk in my auto top off. Will see what happons tomarow.

Thanks for all the help.

Mike

MiddletonMark
11/06/2006, 06:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8491116#post8491116 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dansin
My first thoughts were it may be salt.
Me too.

lookout888
11/06/2006, 09:08 PM
Now there is about a 1 inch by 3/4 and inch area missing tissue in another area. Anything else i should look for. I really don’t want to Loss this coral. I am thinking about breaking a few parts off and put one in my sump one on the other side of tank and one if a different tank.

Let me know pls

Mike

lookout888
11/07/2006, 07:28 AM
**New update**
Well could not get me away from the tank yesterday night. Found 2 things......

1. Well the first surprised the hell out of me but when I put 2 and 2 together it made sense. I was looking trough my tank and saw something behind my rock. So I looked closer and saw 1/2 of what looks like a 12+ inch fire worm, 1 inch thick. This makes sense b/c 2x 3.5 inch athius disappeared from my tank along with some other random fish.

2. I was looking at my acro that I have had for about 8 months (the tri color one) and the bottom was still only skeleton. Which I thought was from putting my hinopora (sp?) to close. Well this may not have been the problem. I saw little (tiny) white bugs on the base of the acro. Could they also be killing the monti? Are these "red bugs"?

I really don’t want to but I have a feeling I am going to have too qt all my corals. Leave none in my tank for a few months. So the redbugs have nothing to eat and die. Then return my corals after dipping them.( I do not want to kill all my shrimp and crabs) so i figured this would be the best way.

Any ideas on the fire worm. I tried a water bottle with some food in it but feel asleep and in the morning food = gone.

Thanks
Mike

coralnut99
11/07/2006, 07:56 AM
Try the water bottle again. They are nocturnal, so you'll most likely have him about an hour after lights out. I seriously doubt he had anything to do with your anthias disappearing, other than making the carcass into a snack. Fireworms are pretty common, and a great detrivore. I remove the big ones, like yours, only because my son helps me with the tanks, and I don't want anything to go wrong when he sticks his hand in there.
I don't have any firsthand experience with redbugs (phew!), but I'm sure others will chime in here.
Another possibility for the spots on your Cap is some Kalk landing on it and burning it. Removing nudis with a turkey baster might be a little easier too. hth

ps. nice cap! probably me favorite sps.

Big Boy69
11/07/2006, 08:01 AM
Could it be alk burn?

eskymick
11/07/2006, 08:22 AM
Since it's possible that salt creep and/or kalk may be settling on your monti caps, it's highly likely that your flow in that area of your tank is not what it should be.

lookout888
11/07/2006, 09:48 AM
the return from my sump basically goes right over it. There is also a maxi jet 1200 right near it too. I pointed the return closer to it to see if that was the problem. Can red bugs eat monti? Yes this is my first coral (Very sentimental :) ) and has grown over 3 fold . Should I worry about the red bugs? I have done some reading and some people say yes and some say they don’t worry about them?

I have also read the only way to get rid of them is using the dog heartworm treatment which will kill all the ""shelled"" animals in my tank. This i do not want to do. I would dip the corals in it and put them in another tank and let the red bugs die off in this tank..

Any sujestions?

Also I really dont think it is kalk I have not used it for over 3 weeks and when I do it goes through a 3 foot kalk reactor. This then goes into the far side of my sup. I will test my alk on lunch (11:30) and update.

And thanks for all the info

Mike

lookout888
11/07/2006, 11:09 AM
I just tested my alk and it is actuly a little low. I will have my kalk reactore hooked up hopfully tonight. I will ad some kalk water now though. Could this be it? Here are some new pictures.

Now is this due to to much flow? or just the origenal problem?

http://www.lookout888.com/Help/help3.jpg
http://www.lookout888.com/Help/help4.jpg
http://www.lookout888.com/Help/help5.jpg

Thanks for all the help i owe you all

Mike

Serioussnaps
11/07/2006, 11:45 AM
looking at that-------it is something chemical-----that is not monti nudis---do you see little white fuzzy things on the underside?? i am willing to bet no.....that is not how they work....when they attack it doesnt look like bleaching as yours but more or less just plain tissue destruction

i havent heard of red bugs attacking a monti either

I THINK YOU NEED TO SLOW DOWN BEFORE YOU DREAM UP SOME THINGS BEING WRONG WITH YOUR TANK

seems as if you had that monti for a while....i bet it didnt get that big by going on missions and yankin everything out of your tank did it?

lookout888
11/07/2006, 12:13 PM
Seriussnaps,
Thanks for answering one of my questions about the red bugs.

I have already ruled out the nudis, Which was a good subjection by Person above. "Few spots and a something that looks like a nudis" So i investigated it and it is not that as stated above.

So you are telling me if you see something wrong with your coral you do not investage rigth away? rule out the possibilities? My acro does have little white things on it, That is why i asked about the red bugs. And I was just asking if that could be the cause. And if it was would that be the answer.

The coral did not look even close to this yesterday. By the first pictures would you have though chemical?

So is this due to low alk? or should i be looking for something different?

Thanks

Mike