PDA

View Full Version : looking for a skimmer (specific type)

kartracertj
11/06/2006, 01:47 PM
I have been reading and learning on this site for the past 2 and a half years but this is my first post. I have a 55 gal. reef with 75-80lbs of live rock and a 4-5in. dsb. I have a 35 gal. home made acrylic sump with a 4in dsb and a 20 gal fuge in the middle. I have been running a junky seaclone 100 skimmer in my sump without much luck for the past year and a half. I have modded it and everything and it still sucks. I am looking for a skimmer that can be hard plummed and stand alone beside my aquarium or under it if is is short enough. I really dont want to spend a fortune but I do want a good skimmer, because what I have now really sucks. any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, the reason I want a skimmer to go outside my sump is because the only real room I have is in the fuge and I dont want to clutter it up.

Harville
11/06/2006, 03:09 PM
I'd recomend a deltec AP600 based on a great experience with my deltec.

www.deltecusa.us

where I work, we got in new Euroreef skimmers. The RS-80s look pretty nice and amazingly inexpensive for a name brand. You might want to check out those although I have not used it myself.

geckofrog
11/06/2006, 03:10 PM
I have a ER RC80 and love it

kartracertj
11/07/2006, 10:57 AM
are these able to stand alone and be hard plumbed

chem-e
11/07/2006, 12:00 PM
By hard plumbed, it sounds like you want a skimmer mounted inline with (perhaps) your return/overflow from the tank. If this is the case, you'll want an recirc skimmer which can be placed in the sump or externally. Almost any major skimmer brand will have these skimmers, but if you want something economical, you may want to check out the Octopus/Pacific Coast line.

RichConley
11/07/2006, 12:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8490613#post8490613 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Harville
I'd recomend a deltec AP600 based on a great experience with my deltec.

www.deltecusa.us

where I work, we got in new Euroreef skimmers. The RS-80s look pretty nice and amazingly inexpensive for a name brand. You might want to check out those although I have not used it myself.

The AP600 is a really nice skimmer, but IMO, theres no reason to buy one unless you have a really small space. Theres so many cheaper skimmers that will greatly outperform one. The AP600 is a little skimmer.

kartracertj
11/07/2006, 01:24 PM
THANK YOU! I will definitely check out the octopus. Have any of you built this type of recirc. skimmer, are they effective, i havent seen any plans for what i am talking about in the DIY forum