PDA

View Full Version : Small Maxima not attaching

bureau13
11/06/2006, 07:37 PM
I got my first clam a couple months ago, a small (maybe 1.5") blue maxima. I have 4x250W HQI/4x39W T5 over a 6' tank, which is 36" deep with a DSB. I initially put it on some rocks about 1/3 of the way up from the sand bed, it attached, and seemed very happy for about a month. During this time it grew significantly. Then my S. haddoni carpet decided to maneuver himself around, and the end result was the clam ended up in the sand. I moved him to a different rock, but my GSM clown female took exception to that and several times he was back in the sand. I don't know how long they take to attach, but he definitely wasn't. Lately I've taken to just leaving him in the sand. He seems fine, but I'm concerned, because from what I've read, they prefer to attach to rocks, and he should need more light. Any thoughts? Should I worry about the lack of attachment? Should I try and put him somewhere else, up higher in the rocks?

I want to get a couple more clams, but I want to make sure I'm taking proper care of the one I have first.

Thanks,
jds

reefkoi
11/06/2006, 08:45 PM
I have a couple maxis in the sand, 30" deep tank with 250 de hqi
I have one attached to a small piece of slate its real flat, then I brush some sand around the slate so it looks like the clam is just sitting in the sand. I think this clam is happier than the other max that is just on the sand, it has a hard time keeping upright.
You could get a piece in the freshwater section of a LFS and see if it'll attach.
C