PDA

View Full Version : Compatibility

BigRiver
11/06/2006, 09:38 PM
Hi,
I just received my rocks from TBS and I have a nice little Mantis in one of the rocks. It is about one inch and a half to two inches (still havn't seen all of it)
I was wondering if it was OK to keep it (assuming I will feed it frequently) with the rest of my stuff that will come (cleaning crew) and eventually fishes.
I would hate to have to get rid of a super predator like that!
Please help me keep the peace in the tank!
I have a 20g tank BTW
Thanks
BigRiver

deboM3
11/07/2006, 02:26 AM
Things will probably end up missing from what i read. Although i put in a damsel today and it seems to share the pvc burrow i made with the mantis. No attacks yet.

BigRiver
11/07/2006, 03:03 AM
How often should I feed the mantis?
It seem to have disappeared from the hole I was seeing it all the time...I'm afraid to move my rocks now!!
I guess a litttle piece of shrimp on a stick will help me find it

Qckwzrd
11/07/2006, 08:04 AM
Just watch your fingers, I would just put a few hermits in there (small ones) and let him eat as he please. I guess you could add some fish that are larger then he is how big is the mantis any pics? Where are you located?

BigRiver
11/07/2006, 10:04 AM
Hi,
I'm in Ottawa, Ontario
The mantis is at least a inch and a half I would say.
I finally found it this morning, it has dugged a hole in the sand just beside the rock it was in. I'm feeding raw shrimp on a stick so far and it seems to love it as it comes out of the hole as soon as it is in there! Just enough to grab it tough so that's why I don't know the full size..

I'll send you a picture to your email. I'm new to this forum and still need to figure out the picture thing. My pictures are too big too.

Send me an email to yannick_duguay@hotmail.com and I'll send you the pictures.
Thanks
Yannick

deboM3
11/07/2006, 01:18 PM
if you send the pictures to me at kyle.debernardi@gmail.com i would be happy to post them in this forum for you.

deboM3
11/07/2006, 01:40 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/louisdogg/DSCN1380.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/louisdogg/DSCN1350.jpg

Tobman
11/08/2006, 04:45 PM
I too have part 1 of the TBS package and there is a mantis in there. I can hear him but have never seen him. I have found numerous carcasses of small crabs split open an no meat left, which I assume is the mantis.

I have tried capturing him with a trap but have not had any success.

BigRiver
11/09/2006, 08:24 AM
I have decided to keep the mantis. I know where she is and she looks pretty happy because she has started digging under "her" rock. I feed her fresh shrimp every other day and so far she doesn't care about any of the crabs, snails of hermits that are in the tank. My "nice" crab stays away from that part of the tank so no problem so far!

Until then, let's keep everyone alive!