PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Test Kits Nightmare

bbyatv
11/06/2006, 09:44 PM
I have been trying to nail down my calcium levels for a long time. I was using Instant Ocean test kit at first and was fed up with the little packets that had to be cut open and the few number of tests. I then moved to Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kit and thought I was happy and getting good readings until I ran out of tests and had to buy a new package. All of the sudden I was getting totaly different readings from the new kit. I then bought a Seachem kit. It has a reference solution to test for accuracy. I did that and can not only get the right reading, I can not get the same reading twice. I am extremely accurate in the amounts of solutions used etc.

Can anyone help me either by reccomending a repeatable good calcium test or by suggesting a method of creating a good reference solution? I think if I had a good reference solution, I could work out my test kit maybe?

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help,

Bruce

bertoni
11/07/2006, 12:38 AM
I'm not sure why you're having trouble with the SeaChem test kit, but I think that vendor has a forum that might be useful.

I have had good luck with the SeaTest and Salifert test kits for calcium. The Salifert is easier to use, in my opinion.

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/07/2006, 07:02 AM
How much variation are you seeing?

bbyatv
11/07/2006, 07:44 AM
Well this morning I decided to give it one more go. This time I decided to check my DI water prior to testing. I found my DI was not at 0 TDS like I thought. I replaced my filter, made some new water and re-ran the reference solution 2 times. Both times I got within 5 ppm of the label on the bottle. I think I found my problem. I then tested my aquarium water and fount it to be 415 ppm. I will try again tomorrow morning and see how it goes.

While I have your attention, I would like to thank you for all of the wonderful work you do and all of the high quality article you publish. I truly am a believer in your work.

I have problem Dinoflagellates. I am considering raising my pH. My pH is at 8.03 in the morning and 8.18 or so in the evening. I currently dose kalk with a dosing pump. My kalk mix is at 1 tsp per 1/2 gallon of water. I add 1 liter per day with the pump. I pump air in from outside in order to help keep my pH up. I do not use vinegar as I have read in you articles that this can keep pH own.

Other than kalk, how else would you reccomend raising the pH? I read in one of your articles that if you migh reccomend adding a supplement based on carbonate if you have high indoor carbon dioxide (I do).

Can you reccomend a home brew that I could make up and how much to use?

Once again, thanks for all of your help and time. You really do help alot of people keep from pulling their hair out.

Bruce York

atvdave
11/07/2006, 05:41 PM
Sorry I didn't see you last post.

I have used both SeaChem & Salifert test kits side by side and have always came up with the same readings.

It's possible you got a bad test kit from SeaChem. If so I would think that they would replace it.

I've always had good luck with SeaChem.

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/08/2006, 06:59 AM
I then tested my aquarium water and fount it to be 415 ppm. I will try again tomorrow morning and see how it goes.

Sounds good. :)

Other than kalk, how else would you reccomend raising the pH? I read in one of your articles that if you migh reccomend adding a supplement based on carbonate if you have high indoor carbon dioxide (I do).

Calcium hydroxide is what I'd use. For a temporary dino treatment, a slurry of lime in a little fresh water can also be used to be able to add more. This article has more:

Problem Dinoflagellates and pH
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-11/rhf/index.php